Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
 Help with My Arrow Setup >

Help with My Arrow Setup

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Help with My Arrow Setup

Old 01-14-2008, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Default Help with My Arrow Setup

Ok, I had an incredible setup. Horton LS2 Lite 2216 arrows(300gr) with 100gr practice points or Muzzy 100gr fixed blade broadheads. It was incredibly accurate, but it is a little light, since Tenpoint says minimum weight is 420gr.

So I bought 125gr American Broadhead Liberty broadheads and 125gr practice points. It seems like I've lost control of the arrow flight path. I have taken a setup which will shoot the nocks out of arrows in the target at 20 yards to a setup which won't put 3 arrows on target with broadheads or practice points.

Any ideas where to go from here? I'm trying to get from a 400 grain arrow to a 420 - 440 gr arrow to meet minimum weight.

Is there a better aluminum arrow than the 2216 Horton for a 300 fps bow?
Old 01-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help with My Arrow Setup

IfI read your post right, you were at 400 gr w/ 100 gr points and just went to 125's? If that's the case, just talking target points, I'd say you have another problem somewhere.

I know these are not alum's but the popular GT LII's w/ brass inserts and 4" vanes from Miller are almost the same as 10 pts which are a few gr [11 or 12] lighter due to plastic nocks, you might want to try them they are 420 I think, w/ alum nocks 431 or so. While it may be hard to believe, I can't see any diff at 30 w/ 100 or 125 gr field points. Bheads are a whole nother can of worms.
Old 01-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Do you have a Tenpoint or a Horton?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Is the nock alum or plastic ?.I could see some prob if they were plastic and you went 125 where as if they were alum there must be another prob.....
Old 01-14-2008, 03:44 PM
KLS
Fork Horn

have you checked FOC with both heads?

I agree with the others, switching to 125's shouldnt have much of an effect on arrow flight, especially with field points, it will change FOC though and that is capable of throwing off flight to a degree, especially with broadheads

with carbon arrows theres brass inserts you could try front and rear to add weight but with alumin arrows with plastic vanes and 125 points there really isnt a whole lot more you can do to increase weight(to the amount you want anyway) without going through a big ordeal
there wasa recentthread about combining arrows(20/64" with 22/64") which maybe an idea to try
butIMO the best wayto get to where you want as far as that much of a weight increaseis to get different arrows, 2219's maybe...
Old 01-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Typical Buck

I'm pretty sure the problem is with both field points and broadheads. My next step is to start with my100 practice points and confirm they are still accurate. Then I will switch to 125 gr field points and see what happens.

My crossbow is a Tenpoint Magnum x-2 with an Excaliber Lumi-zone scope. I think the draw weight is 175lbs. Arrow velocity is supposed to be 305fps max, I think, but the Lumi-zone scope has to be set at 325 fps with the 100 gr points. I may try to chronograph on Wednesday also.

Funny thing is going from 100gr field points to 125gr also makes them shoot through my bag target! I will shoot the block on Wendnesday.

The arrows have plastic V nocks for what it's worth. Why would plastic nocks cause a problem?

Sorry, for my ignorance, but what is FOC?

Old 01-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might try weight tubes inside the shafts. FOC should remain about the same and they should have little effect on spine.
http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=6731-2X
Old 01-14-2008, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 1st arrow nocksfrom 10point were flat plastic,then I went to flatalum nocks on all my arrows....
Nock=weight.
Flat nocks are the best for Ten Point.I have a 10pointPro Fusion and a Excal Vortex,both flat nocks.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:31 AM
Fork Horn

If it ain't broke..............
Also why did you switch from Muzzys to American Liberty
Could be the broadhead.

xbowbarry
Old 01-15-2008, 01:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It just does not sound like the arrows are responsable. I would check the scope and the scope mounts and the trigger mechanism looking for some thing to be loose. I had a bit of a problem once with my 10 point and eventually figered out that I had lost a screw and the trigger mechanism was moving around. Lee

Quick Reply: Help with My Arrow Setup

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.