Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Help with Elk Jerky

Old 10-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Typical Buck

Default Help with Elk Jerky

I'm hoping to shoot a cow during the second rifle season here in Colorado, opens tomorrow. I am planning on processing my own, never done an elk before. I've got a grinder, my freezer paper, tape, even a scale to weigh everything out. I'm hoping to use my dehydrator to make some jerky. The question I have is should I grind up the meat I want to use for jerky, or should I just cut it into small strips? What are the advantages of doing it either way. If need be I can get a jerky gun.

Also, any tips on grinding up my elk? If I get one I'll let it hang for a few days in the barn before I start working on it. Thanks for y'all's help and input.

Tobe
Old 10-22-2014, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

I always make the ground and formed with a Jerky cannon. We use Hell Creek jerky mix from www.FriscoSpices.com we also have jerky cannons there. As far as grinding letting it hang for a few days before grinding and processing allows the blood to leech from the meat and I think you get much better cuts of meat and better ground product as well. Good luck if you have any questions about making anything feel free to call me here at FriscoSpices. 800 762 6689 ask for Mike.
Old 11-29-2014, 07:48 AM
Fork Horn

I cut up roasts for jerkey and put them in the oven or the smoker instead of using a dehydrator. I use Hi Mountain cure and spice mix and the venison and elk jerkey have been AMAZING!
Old 12-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Grinding or strips turn out just about the same. Grinding is mostly used on scraps, strips are a lot easier. then turn any scraps into burger.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:04 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by friscospices.com
I always make the ground and formed with a Jerky cannon. We use Hell Creek jerky mix from www.FriscoSpices.com we also have jerky cannons there. As far as grinding letting it hang for a few days before grinding and processing allows the blood to leech from the meat and I think you get much better cuts of meat and better ground product as well. Good luck if you have any questions about making anything feel free to call me here at FriscoSpices. 800 762 6689 ask for Mike.
Ive made both ground and whole meat jerly for decades. I find the ground easier. Last year I tried Mike's Hell creek Jerky mix from Frisco Spices. It was fantastic. You wont be disappointed with Frisco products. I posted all the pics and instructions here at this link. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/camp...nd-w-pics.html