Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Deep Fryer Rookie

Old 07-02-2014, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deep Fryer Rookie

So my lovely wife got my a deep fryer last weekend. I have your basic backyard BBQ skills. Even my venison steal seasonings are basic. Who can help me with killer deep fry recipes/rubs? Looking to practice on turkey breast or small chicken first I guess, venison is the only game I have in freezer now. There's just 2 of us eating so quantity won't be big. My goal is thanksgiving turkey this year for 10. Now I know pretty much nothing so I apologize in advance for multiple questions etc. I'm real excited from what I've read on various sites.
Thanks for any help!
Old 07-09-2014, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Never did anything small in my fryer but hopes this helps with Thanksgiving.
Brine
6 quarts hot water
1 pound kosher salt
1 pound dark brown sugar
5 pounds ice
1 (13 to 14-pound) turkey, with giblets removed

Approximately 4 to 4 1/2 gallons peanut oil*
*Cook's Note: In order to determine the correct amount of oil, place the turkey into the pot that you will be frying it in, add water just until it barely covers the top of the turkey and is at least 4 to 5 inches below the top of the pot. This will be the amount of oil you use for frying the turkey.
Place the hot water, kosher salt and brown sugar into a 5-gallon upright drink cooler and stir until the salt and sugar dissolve completely. Add the ice and stir until the mixture is cool.
Gently lower the turkey into the container. If necessary, weigh down the bird to ensure that it is fully immersed in the brine. Cover and set in a cool dry place for 8 to 16 hours.
Remove the turkey from the brine, rinse and pat dry. Allow to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.

Place the oil into a 28 to 30-quart pot and set over high heat on an outside propane burner with a sturdy structure. Bring the temperature of the oil to 250 degrees F. Once the temperature has reached 250, slowly lower the bird into the oil and bring the temperature to 350 degrees F. Once it has reached 350, lower the heat in order to maintain 350 degrees F. After 35 minutes, check the temperature of the turkey using a probe thermometer. Once the breast reaches 151 degrees F, gently remove from the oil and allow to rest for a minimum of 30 minutes prior to carving. The bird will reach an internal temperature of 161 degrees F due to carry over cooking. Carve as desired.

On a side note, any turkey I cook in the oven and make gravy, I freeze the left over to use with the fried turkey.

I Also do turkey at about 3.5 minutes per pound. But for some reason, that doesn't work with chickens. They simply need more time, and I don't understand why? A 12lb turkey is done in about 45 minutes + or- .
But a 4lb oven stuffer is still pretty raw in the drum sticks after 20 minutes.