Community
Camp Cooking and Game Processing Trade recipes and other tricks of the trade for cooking wild game.

Backstraps are Simply Amazing

Old 12-19-2013, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default Backstraps are Simply Amazing

This year I had shot a couple yearlings as a part of a management hunt (it was a "kill em' all" hunt in an urban area). So last night I decided to grill up one of the backstraps (two pieces, each about 7" long and 3" thick).

The only prep I did was thaw and refrigerate for two days, drying them off once a day.
As I got the grill heated up I salt and peppered the backstraps. I also soaked a handful of hickory chips in water.
I let the grill get up to 450 degrees I put the chips on the coals and gave it a few minutes to start smoking.
With the grate about 4" from the coals, I put the backstraps on for 3 minutes.
After 3 minutes, I gave them a quarter turn (for pretty grill marks) and left them on for another 2 minutes.
Then I flipped them over and left them on one side for another 5 minutes.
I removed them from direct heat and move them to the side of the grill while I got the table ready - probably 5 minutes.
I let them rest for 5 minutes and sliced into 1/4" medallions. They were a perfect medium rare (maybe slightly more emphasis on the rare side).

Those yearling backstraps were so tender they started coming apart as I was slicing them! After they were sliced no knife was needed, simply cut with the edge of the fork.

Moist, tender, unadulterated. My wife and kids loved it. For those out there that have always marinaded the backstraps try it without for a change.

As far as care for the deer, we skinned and deboned the deer the same day it was shot - it went from woods to cooler (packed in ice) in about 5 hours. I don't buy into the "let them hang" argument unless you have a walk-in cooler that would allow you to do it properly.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

The best agree! Only way better is straight deer to skillet/grill !
Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 PM
Spike

I concur! The best deer meat I ever did was for a Thanksgiving dinner. We had the turkey, done in the oven. All my coonass relatives were there from South LA so I did a backstrap from a doe I shot on a food plot. It was a 15" piece of meat about 9" around. I rubbed it lightly with salt/pepper/garlic powder, then brushed it with olive oil poured into the seasoning dish. It was put on the rack under a wild pig ham, both on the far end of a quality barrel smoker/grill overnight. Next day both were done medium at most. falling off the bone and almost had to fight some folks for left overs!
Old 02-13-2014, 05:15 AM
Typical Buck

I used to slice mine, flour and quickly fry them. A few years ago I decided to try to cook the entire back straps whole on the smoker. I cut them in half one time so I had 2 pieces about 6-8 inches each. I used bark from a shag bark hickory tree and got the smoker to about 250. Laid the straps on the smoker and let them go until they reached about 135 degrees then took them off. By far the best I have ever had. I did the loins this way too. Good news is the loins were done in about half the time so they made a great snack while waiting on the backstraps to cook!
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

I think salt & pepper cooked medium rare is by far the best way to cook deer meat.
Old 02-14-2014, 09:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tundra10
Only way better is straight deer to skillet/grill !
OH YA!!!

That is what I'm talking about!!!

HA
Old 02-18-2014, 05:32 PM
Typical Buck

Nothing like a HOT cast iron skillet to drop some venison into for a quick sear to medium rare. When I don't get the grill out because of the weather I cook my "regular" steaks this way also. Throw the skillet in the oven on 500 degrees. Once everything is hot I take it out and put it on a burner that is on high. Drop in a nice thick ribeye steak and let it sear for 1-2 minutes on each side. Then stick it back in the oven for about 5 minutes and it is done. Medium rare with a very nice crust on it.