HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Big wide open hole, or small tiny hole? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/73156-big-wide-open-hole-small-tiny-hole.html)

Dairy King 09-19-2004 08:52 PM

Big wide open hole, or small tiny hole?

When you make shooting lanes, do you like to use big wide open lanes, or do you like little bitty dinky ones?

Carpmaster 09-19-2004 08:54 PM

RE: Big wide open hole, or small tiny hole?

I use whatever i can without resticting my cover and shot opportunities, i try to find a happy medium!

wihunter402 09-19-2004 08:55 PM

I tend to make them bigger. I know it makes it easier for the deer to spot me but I like to have more shooting opertunities.

JeramyK 09-19-2004 09:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Carpmaster

I use whatever i can without resticting my cover and shot opportunities, i try to find a happy medium!
Same here. You want ample clearance for the shot but at the same time you want to keep some cover to help conceal/breakup your image.

motown 09-20-2004 04:08 AM

in the past years i have been hunting i have never cut shoting lanes and i hun in thick stuff. My thought is i have to thread the needle into the love chamber.

Bees 09-20-2004 10:22 AM

I don't make them either. My experience is if you cut it they won't come.. I just pick the holes that are there.

John Deer 09-20-2004 10:37 AM

Remember, your in the deer's living room. Think of it like this, if you came home from work one day and your front door was gone you'd probably notice it wouldn't you. It's the same for deer. They will know if you've been cutting trees down and it could change their travel habits. I've had better luck if I just trimmed up small amounts or none at all rather than making alot of cuts around my stand.

GR8atta2d 09-20-2004 11:10 AM

I don't cut lanes either. I may trim a branch or two once I'm up in the tree, if it's going to rub on my climber or interefere with my quite movement, but not for shooting.

adams 09-20-2004 11:13 AM

I don't cut lanes I trim them. Cutting lanes isn't about clearing out the forrest. I usually trim a couple of branches that will leave me ample room to get an arrow through. I want to get a clean shot but more importantly I want to be concealed so I get a shot.

Joe D. 09-20-2004 12:10 PM

I like wide shooting lanes just because that's my preference. If you get in the woods early enough to clear lanes, the deer will eventually adapt to the environment. My buddies joke with me because I like to clear a lot of brush from my area. Never stops me from having deer come in close though.