Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need advise

Old 10-16-2017, 08:21 PM
Spike

Default Need advise

Ok guys.... I'm pretty new to bow hunting (3years). I purchased a used hoyt Powerhawk and started practicing and learned my anchor points and became very confident over the next year. I decided to get in the woods with it and managed to lay down a couple of brown meat donators. I then started having issues with my peep always under rotating. I took it to my local archery shop and they replaced and reset the peep. It worked great for about 50-75 draws.... then the same issue returned. I also recently purchased an old Martin phantom ii.... same issue. Let me note I shoot LH. I don't think that's the culprit. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have a d-loop its probably twisting on you and no longer lining up with your peep. If that is the case you need to line it up and tighten it.
Old 10-19-2017, 06:34 AM
Spike

I have taken it to my local archery shop and the answer I got was "that's normal". How hard is it to do yourself. My archery shop options are limited.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

This may not be correct for the archery gurus. But, couldn't you align the d-loop so the peep is good and then glue the d-loop with say gorilla glue or similar? I sure wouldn't want to be twisting the string when you are about to shoot.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redmag
This may not be correct for the archery gurus. But, couldn't you align the d-loop so the peep is good and then glue the d-loop with say gorilla glue or similar? I sure wouldn't want to be twisting the string when you are about to shoot.
This is really, really bad advice. While Dyneema, Dacron, and Kevlar have fairly good general solvent resistance, it's hard to tell what might be used in any different "glue" brand, so you might find yourself denaturing your bowstring, causing it to rupture under load, near the shooter's face.

The proper way to ensure your D-loop and peep remain oriented together is to "tie in," or "serve in" the D-loop. Your shop should have done this once your nock position was set anyway, or they can do so now. There are plenty of videos online for how to serve, and serving string is cheap, so you could also do it yourself if you don't have faith in your shop.

Old 10-20-2017, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

Nomeracy, That wasn't really meant as advice per my reference to archery gurus. I was asking if that would work. Thought maybe it was a bad idea for the reasons you cited but I am not a chemist.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I guess we have confirmed the d-loop is in fact the problem?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the peep is rotating while you draw, you need a new, quality string. That's a problem with older strings, but with newer (say 5 years) string building techniques, it shouldn't happen.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can move one strand of the string at a time to influence the peep alignment.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I guess we have confirmed the d-loop is in fact the problem?
I wouldn't say it's confirmed the D-loop is the issue - but it's a solution. If the peep turns for any reason, the D-loop can re-orient it to the shooter when drawn.

Strings stretch, peeps turn. I've grown up with horizontal peeps, such no matter what my string does, I don't have to fight rotation. I sacrifice a little for shape and a little brightness loss compared to an angled peep, but it's never bothered me, and never seemed to grow my group size (carefully matching diameter with sight housing diameter).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.