Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
New Compound Bow >

New Compound Bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Compound Bow

Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

Default New Compound Bow

This year I am interested in buying a new compound bow for hunting whitetail deer and turkey. I also am interested in hunting other big game in the far future like an elk. I am looking into a Mathews Z3 right now. I have never held one or shot one but I am interested if anyone has any input on them or any other bow they have an opinion on.
Old 05-05-2017, 05:06 AM
Super Moderator

My best advice would be go to a archery store and shoot as many different brands and models as you can. Find the best fit and feel to you and you will be happy.

I myself went from a harsh drawing PSE (which I shot really well but my shoulder just couldn't handle the draw cycle in the cold weather) to an Elite Energy. The Elite is extremely smooth draw with a solid as a rock backwall. I could easily draw 70 lbs with it where as with the PSE I was struggling with 63 lbs. Also don't overlook Prime. They are very good bows as well. Just don't get caught up in the I gotta have what they are promoting on the hunting shows kind of thing.
Old 05-05-2017, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for all of the input. I am planning on testing out a ton of different bows but just wanted to create a convo that people have had a good experience with a bow or a bad.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:18 AM
Spike

my consideration: Diamond Archery 2016 Edge SB-1 Compound Bow
Old 05-27-2017, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Summer of 2016, I was in the market for a new bow. I'm a Mathews fan but I did look at other makers, it came down to two Mathews, the Z2, and the Z3. I opted for the Z2 for the way it felt, little more speed, and just over all I liked it better. The Z2 comes with the Z7 magnum riser and cam. Before this bow I had the Z7, it got stolen. I loved it, but the Z2 I like better
Attached Thumbnails New Compound Bow-resized_20160812_134115.jpg  
Old 05-28-2017, 01:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

Don't get too hung up on a brand name. Most of today's bows are fast, accurate and a lot more vibration free than bows of yesteryear. The only real difference I've seen is the draw cycle. I say go with Kelly's advice and shoot as many as you can until you find one you like and feels good to you.
I shot Martins for years and really like them. I also had a PSE Dream Season but after shooting it an entire season, I could never get used to the draw cycle. Currently I'm shooting a Mathews Chill because I bought it on an online auction for a song. A sweet shooting bow but still to me not as smooth as my Martin.
But if you're really set on the Mathews design you may want to look at the Mission line and save yourself some $$. Remember, feel = confidence= better shooting.
Old 05-29-2017, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Well that was out of the blue and in seemingly no way relevant to archery. Not even good for spam. You may want to try a different line of work michelmoor. Spamming doesn't seem to be in your area of expertise.
Old 05-30-2017, 02:56 AM
Dominant Buck

Took care of that HL. I deleted the post by michaelmoor but left him as a member since his only other post was slightly more relevant.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 05-30-2017 at 02:59 AM.
Old 05-30-2017, 07:19 PM
Spike

I shoot a g5 prime impact they is no bow like it