Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Goldtip arrows for low poundage >

Goldtip arrows for low poundage

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Goldtip arrows for low poundage

Old 11-06-2016, 12:37 AM
Spike

Default Goldtip arrows for low poundage

Hi everyone I am new to this site but not to bow hunting with that said I am looking at new arrows for my wife. She shoots a Diamond Infinite Edge at 45# and a 26" DL. Right now she is shooting GT Ted Nugent 500 spine arrows with 100 grain fixed blade broad heads. She has taken 2 deer with this setup but did not get pass thru on shots that I believe should have had at least an exit hole. I want her to shoot a heavier arrow. I have been looking at GT's Traditional line and there 500 spine is 9.8 GPI. Does anyone have any opinions of these?

BTW I am sitting in Afghanistan right now so I am just daydreaming and looking up different options for next season. She will be shooting 125gr Mangus one her new arrows.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check your messages. I sent you a PM.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Your wife's gold tip Nugent 500 arrows are 8.4 GPI while the 400s are 9.3 GPI. That amounts to 23.4 grs extra weight then add the extra weight for the 125 gr tip and just for a gesstimate if your wife's bow has an IBO rating of 300 fps (70# @ 30") at 26" it is currently launching an arrow at 189 fps, with the increased weight it should be shooting about 173 fps. Calculating the shaft weight plus components and broadhead the 500 come in about 413 gr. The 400s will come in about 461 gr.(these are approximate but pretty close based on a 26" arrow).
(ref: http://archerycalculator.com/estimate-bow-speed)
The kenetic energy for the lighter arrow should be 32.7 ftlbs and the momentum at .346. With the heavier arrow the values would be 30.6 and .353.
(ref: http://archerycalculator.com/archery...um-calculator/)
Although KE is an important value you must also consider momentum. The heavier arrow even though it is moving slower and has less KE should give greater penetration. I'm not sure it the set up will still provide a complete pass through but it will increase the odds.
BTW thank you for your service. We at home are honored by the work you and your fellow military do for us.
Old 11-07-2016, 06:45 AM
Fork Horn

Getting a consistent pass through can be a challenge with low poundage/short draw length bows. A little more weight might help, but I wouldn't get too carried away. There are a lot of different ways to add weight to the setup. As previously mentioned, bumping up to the 400 spine would add some weight. However, you should also consider adding the weight to the front of the arrow by using a brass insert or even going all the way up to 150 grain Magnus Stingers. Doing that will increase your weight and FOC at the same time.

My wife is currently set up with Easton aluminum shafts, to make a reasonably heavy arrow. They work OK but, if I were to do it again, I'd definitely go with a lighter arrow and put the weight up front.