Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Need beginner bow >

Need beginner bow

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Need beginner bow

Old 12-24-2015, 01:01 PM
Spike

Default Need beginner bow

I'm new to hunting but not archery all together, I had an old Jennings compound but one of the limbs split so I'm. Looking to get a new bow and start hunting, I've been looking around eBay for a gently used mathews, pse, or Hoyt, just wondering if anyone on here know a specific line of those brands I should keep an eye out for. I'm not trying to spend a ton of money but I can throw a few hundred at it, if any on here has a good backup bow they are looking to sell let me know
Old 01-01-2016, 05:47 AM
Spike

Not trying to deter you from buying used. Lots of good bows for sale on eBay or at your local Archery dealer that are used. I will point out though that if your into saving money on a new bow (2015 models) now is the time to buy! Many of the big online and catalog retailers has bows as much as 50% off.
Old 01-01-2016, 06:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you settle for a used bow because it is cheaper than a new one, the odds are you will be spending more money for a new one in the not too distant future. You would be better off going to an archery shop and buy new, where you have people who know what they are doing and can set your bow up properly and advise you and where you will have a warranty on the bow you buy. As was stated by CBA, there will be end of year sales on new bows to get rid of inventory before it comes time to pay tax on store inventory. Buying a used bow is buying a pig in a poke, unless you know the person you buy from very well and trust him. If you are determined to buy used, again try a bow shop where you at least will know the bow is safe to shoot. Not casting aspersions on anyone here, but I would not buy a bow off the internet.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 01-01-2016 at 06:54 AM.
Old 01-01-2016, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Like OT said, sometimes buying a used bow can end up costing you as much or more than a new one. I worked with a guy who's wife bought him a used bow for christmas. By the time he had a new string, sights installed because the old one was missing, and had the shop set it up for him they could have had a good entry level package deal paid for. My buddy bought a nice package deal bow from Dicks sporting goods a few years back. I don't know the brand (probably Dicks store brand) but I believe he paid around $350 for it, it came ready to hunt, and he's been shooting and hunting with it for probably four years now. Shoots well, and he loves it. And $350 isn't a bad price.
-Jake
Old 01-02-2016, 12:04 PM
Fork Horn

If I was going to buy a used bow it would be an Elite. Their warranty is transferable plus they are the only one that will over night you a bow if you happen to break yours on a hunt. It is called the Hunter Guarantee. I won't buy a used bow if the warranty is not transferable. But like everyone else has stated you probably would be better trying to look at last years models especially after the ATA show. I shoot an Elite Energy 35 and love it but here are a few nice bows for under $500. I would write these down and call your nearest pro shop and see if they have them so you can shoot them. Compare the prices online to what the shop has because some shops might match the price if it is cheaper online.
Hoyt Powermax
Mission Archery
Quest Amp, Forge Quest is made by G5
Bowtech Fuel, Assasain
Diamond
PSE Bow Madness 30

Last edited by Brandon_SPC; 01-02-2016 at 12:38 PM.