Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

atlatl

Old 05-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: atlatl

Looks like a interesting weapon but I don't think that I would be interested enough in learning to use one well enough to ever hunt with it.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:44 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Matt should we change your nickname to "Wild Thing" LOL[8D]
You should see how much extra room on the outside of the plate a 91mph 2 seamer in the earhole gets you on the next 3 or 4 batters.
I think I said "Whoops, Sorry bout' that" more than a couple times. LOL

Not sure I'd want to see an Atlatl arrow in the earhole?
LOL, Oh I know how much room a 91mph 2-seamer will get you. Been there and done that. I couldn't get up quite to that speed (Mid 80's in my prime) But you let that go high and tight and you have the WHOLE plate to work with. But like you I was cursed with Ricky Vaughn syndrom. LOL I guess thats why I plyed more first base than anything

Atlatl in the earhole would not be good. OUCH!!! LOL

You should see
Old 05-19-2008, 09:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes, if I could get proficient enough, I'd probably try it out to hunt with. I threw some javalin in college.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would like to try one some day. I think with a bunch of practice you could get fairly accurate with one. I think it is more deadly than most think . when thrown the shaft flexes and loads up the power. it goes at a pretty good speed, faster than you can throw a spear.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Fork Horn

Gotta laugh when I see people question their lethality. Atlatls were in use long before bows, bringing down creatures as big as mammoths. Several mammoth skeletons have been found, in fact, with flint atlatl dart heads embedded in the bone. The darts weigh a several thousand grains, for Heavens sake!

I watched a guy at a trad shoot one year throwing darts with one. As we walked up to the deer target, I expected we'd pause at 10 or 15 yards for him to throw. Nope. We stopped at 40. First throw landedin the shoulder. Next, in the neck. Next, just behind the shoulder. All undoubtedly killing hits, with each one nearly taking the target right off its stakes. Pretty impressive to see someone experienced using one.

I made an atlatl from osage and an antler tine,and darts from bamboo stakes. At first, I was horrible with it. But after a few sessions, I slowly started to get the knack. Unfortunately finally I split all of my darts in the socket and haven't taken the time to make more. (I suspect the angle of the antler tine in the stick may be too acute.) If legalized in PA, then yes, I think I would buckle down, learn, and try it. Even if I couldn't find the time or get proficient myself, I'd love to see what some of PA's atlatl die-hards could do!

Old 05-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

You better believe it......

I was a short lived college baseball pitcher with an honest 90mph fastball.(albeit I didn't always know EXACTLY where it was going)
17 years later I can still scoot it up there in the low 80's. LOL
I seem to have a knack for instinctive shooting and was blessed with a heck of an arm, so bring on the Atlatl.
I'm in...

I hit 89 several times my senior year and into college, but never did break the barrier.... but... I was a spot pitcher . Key word being, was, not sure about now after the rotator cuff surgery.
Old 05-19-2008, 09:35 PM
Dominant Buck

A rope and a knife are a lot more challenging.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Fork Horn

I always thought a spear would be as humane as an arrow but this video changed my mind a bit.
I don't think this is totally balanced but it is quite shocking.

Be warned it is very graphic though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GvVN...elated&search=

Old 05-20-2008, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt should we change your nickname to "Wild Thing" LOL[8D]
You should see how much extra room on the outside of the plate a 91mph 2 seamer in the earhole gets you on the next 3 or 4 batters.
I think I said "Whoops, Sorry bout' that" more than a couple times. LOL

Not sure I'd want to see an Atlatl arrow in the earhole?
We might be related!!! I think the Atlatl are pretty neat looking, but I'm not sure many guys would have much luck with them, especially for the SKITTISH whitetailed deer. But it might be something fun to try.....
Old 05-20-2008, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dogboy900

I always thought a spear would be as humane as an arrow but this video changed my mind a bit.
I don't think this is totally balanced but it is quite shocking.

Be warned it is very graphic though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GvVNLJijRg&mode=related&search=
The atlatl and people thatused them(10,000 years ago) in North America were far more advanced than the tribes on this video. Sad but true.