Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Did you ever come across a wounded deer where... >

Did you ever come across a wounded deer where...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you ever come across a wounded deer where...

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Did you ever come across a wounded deer where...

I was driving one day out in the middle of rural Idaho.. highway 6 and saw a doe laying in a field just off the highway, I could see her back was broke, she was dragging herself by her front legs, bleeding out of her mouth and ears. A few folks that I know from my home town had already stopped and were looking her over. I walked down and everyone kind of looked at each other. I asked if anyone had a pistol. Nope, Nope was the answers I got. I walked back to my truck grabbed my 44 mag and put her out of her misery. Everyone there walked back to their rigs and drove off. No regrets.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

well Im glad to hear your guys take on this. I was really worried about taking a pounding on this one thats why it took 2 years to come out. Im dont with it and am writing it off as a good deed. Im not gonna lie it bothered me alot especially this past year when I had my daughter out hunting. I thought man what if????
Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a fawn last fall that was suffering from blue tongue. She was staggering, walking into small trees and struggling to breathe. That was hard to watch. I called the GW, he said that my area had alot of reports of EHD last year. Hopefully it won't hit herethis summer.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unfortunately, injured deer aren't covered under my health insurance, so yes, I'll kill hell out of 'em if I see one that's injured. It's not something that I like doing, but it definitely needs to be done.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: shed33

I was driving one day out in the middle of rural Idaho.. highway 6 and saw a doe laying in a field just off the highway, I could see her back was broke, she was dragging herself by her front legs, bleeding out of her mouth and ears. A few folks that I know from my home town had already stopped and were looking her over. I walked down and everyone kind of looked at each other. I asked if anyone had a pistol. Nope, Nope was the answers I got. I walked back to my truck grabbed my 44 mag and put her out of her misery. Everyone there walked back to their rigs and drove off. No regrets.

That reminds me of a joke I heard years ago: This cattle truck jack-knifed and turned over killing several cattle and injuring many more, including the driver, who had a broke leg. The State Patrol showed up and started shooting any of the cows that had broken legs etc... and one of the State Patrolmen asked the driver, "Sir, are you injured"? And the driver said, "No, I'm just fine!"
Old 04-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

You did the right thing by me.
Old 04-16-2008, 12:36 PM

just his yer in il it was the last shot gun season and i was hunting on some ground where there was a big buck. well it was only a doe only season so i wouldnt be able to shoot it any ways...so im walking and i see this deer just laying there and i walked up to it and it was the big buck well it couldnt move and it was goingto die slowly it was skin and bones so i shot it and put it out of its missery
Old 04-16-2008, 01:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: twildasin

Did you ever come across a wounded deer where you had to put it down knowing it was the correct thing to do? I had an instant 2 years ago at my one property i hunt that borders dog training area. This doe walked by me at about 9 in the morning (it was the 1st day of small game also) I could tell there was something wrong with her. As she closed into my area I noticed she was walking into trees like she could not see,and she was weezing like it was hard to breath? Well when she got close to me I could tell she was shot with a shotgun in the face so it appeared to me. Now Im not real sure what to do, im pissed off, im sad, im overwhelmed. Let me state this also I did not have a doe tag left !! Well to this day I still believe I did the correct thing I shot her and ended her pain. Did I break the law yes. Did I do what was correct in my mind yes! There was NO WAY I was gonna watch this deer strugglewalking into trees and not being able to see. To this day I still have some guilt of breaking the law. Should I? Would I of had more guilt letting the deer suffer? I believe so!
I would have done the same thing. My belief is that the doe in your case would have suffered an incredible death instead of the quick end you provided. Everyone in this forum has broken one law or another be it speeding, driving while tipsy, stealing, etc. Don't focus on breaking the law in this case because you humanely took care of this animals suffering with the posibility of doing harm to yourself. A lot of people would have been more worried about getting in trouble than doing what is right.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:15 PM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing, now pull it from the site so you wo'nt have any trouble.
Old 04-16-2008, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

You did the right thing...most of the time they call the police to shoot the deer. What is the difference? None. Good job.

Quick Reply: Did you ever come across a wounded deer where...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.