Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 opening day WI bow season >

opening day WI bow season

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

opening day WI bow season

Old 10-19-2007, 07:50 PM

Default opening day WI bow season

Little slow off the line in this one, took me a bit of time to get the video done, and figure out how to host the picture, but here goes.

Opening day, Wisconsin bow season, had this buck come in with two other bucks, (a yearling 7 pointer, and a main frame 9 pointer, with some other junk going on, maybe 14 inches wide and probably about 130ish, twice the mass of the buck in the link below)

Watched all three come in from about 200 yards out, initial impressions was a really wide 8 pointer (the 10 below), and a heavy 10 (actually a 9), both of the bigger deer had the same body size, but neither had the 'big belly' sag of a 4 year old, which is what I am sort of after, not sure if there are any around, but the sheds we found the last couple years says there are.

Eventually all three bucks made there way upwind of my stand with the small buck about 30 yards away, the buck in the picture at 17 yards (ranged it after the fact) and the 9 pointer was 5 yards away (had to pace that one off once i got out of the stand, range finder only goes down to 10 yards)

Anyhow, I drew back on the 10, quartering away with his head on the opposite side of me licking his groin with his front leg slightly forward, the 9 pointer saw me and just sat there and watched me, held the pin on the 10 pointer until i couldn't hold the string anylonger and let up, that finally got the 9 pointer moving, he ran off about 30 yards, the 10 followed, he still had no clue what was going on, the 10 stopped about 20 yards away broadside so i drew on him again, and once again let up on the string.

No idea why I did not take the shot, outside of I got one a couple years ago a little bigger, none of the deer made my knees shake and I really didnt want my season to be over opening day..........

Highlight of my short season so far.

Anyone want to take a stab at a score on the 10?

and ya, my friends think I am nuts, but hunting isn't always about coming home with a set of horns, it i s sometimes about what you leave on the table (or in the woods as it is)

http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?image=10pointerwx7.jpg
Old 10-19-2007, 08:12 PM

Default RE: opening day WI bow season

[/align]Dang nice buck...no way i wouldn't have shot