Community
Bowhunting Gear Review Broadheads, arrows, rests, bows, and more... read the latest reviews of hot new gear items related to archery and bowhunting.

spotting scopes

Old 06-05-2002, 11:04 PM
pup

Default spotting scopes

i am looking to get a spotting scope but i have never pwned one before and i know nothing about them... i was looking at some in cabelas but i need some help.. i dont want to spend to much money concidering i have none.. but it would be nice to get one under $100 if possible.. so any suggestions would be great thanks >>>----->

small but deadly
Old 06-06-2002, 08:09 PM

Default RE: spotting scopes

I purchased the Tasco 18-36x50 scope as a Christmas gift for my father a year ago ($99). Pretty poor scope, IMO. It works, but the eye relief is very small and the brightness isn't all that great compared to others I have seen.

If you want a serious scope, be prepared to spend serious money. Good optics are expensive. The Tasco is o.k. for occasional use but I wouldn't want to be squinting through it all day on a hunt.

The Mouse

Old 06-06-2002, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got a 25X Tasco I'll sell you. Hardly used at all. Comes with small tripod and case. How's $35+ shipping sound. Just be prepared to not use them when it starts getting dark. Mouse told you right. Good optics cost good money. That's why I use Swarovski now.

Old 06-06-2002, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pup, this is serious. I don't know if they cover spotting scopes but you can find out alot about optics at birdwatchersdigest.com Really good onfo there. At least you'll have a better idea of what optics are about.

Old 06-07-2002, 06:37 PM
pup

what madel is that tasco you have? and how little of light will they work in.. i mean they will work fine on like dark unsunny days right?? they just wont work like a dusk???

small but deadly
Old 06-08-2002, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pup, I have to apologize. The scope is a Simmons model 1206, 25X50
As I said before it comes in a soft case with it's own short legged tripod. It's adaptable to a camera tripod, which is what I often used. It's in excellent shape.
You can assume correctly that it won't do a whole lot of good near dark, but it's OK for most other stuff. Honestly I've probably only had it out of the case half dozen times in that many years. Well, you can imagine the difference between them and my Swarovski, But then there's $1000 difference in price too.
My offer stands.

Old 06-08-2002, 11:31 PM

Just a FYI, pup:

The Tasco works pretty good except during times of very low light like dawn and dusk. Unfortunately this is prime animal movement time, too. It sounds like BGfisher has a pretty good deal on his old scope and since you are a younger hunter (I think...) you could upgrade later when you have more resourses. Swarovski is to Tasco like Mecedes Benz is to Ford. Not everyone can afford a Mercedes for thier first car.

The Mouse

Old 06-10-2002, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pup, you want to get ahold of me you best do it by email. [email protected] I been having trouble logging on to this site lately.