Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question for Starters >

Question for Starters

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question for Starters

Old 08-12-2017, 12:04 PM
Spike

Never mind
Old 08-12-2017, 12:05 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
You know, you can buy some sabots and cheap .452" cast lead bullets separately to create an economical practice loads if you go the inline route.
Where can I find that?
Old 08-12-2017, 12:50 PM
Typical Buck

I think I figured out how to link you to another page. Here are the Thompson Center Cheap Shots I referred to. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...let-pack-of-20 At 8.99 per 20, that's getting pretty dang cheap.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:40 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SoldSpartan
Where can I find that?
My preferred source is Midwayusa.com for all things shooting related. I actually just placed an order with them earlier this morning. As an example, I'm planning on running the .451" 200 grain Barnes XPB out of my Optima V2 pistol using a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. However, since this combination costs $1.10 per shot, I decided to buy some .452" 200 grain Berry's HP bullets for practice. This will allow me to practice far more cheaply at 29 cents per shot.

Once you figure out which bullet you plan to hunt with, you could order some sabots and cheap target-only bullets for practicing, plinking, and general shooting. Just make sure you order the correct sabots for that diameter bullet. Come season, sight in with your hunting bullets and you'll be set.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:33 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
My preferred source is Midwayusa.com for all things shooting related. I actually just placed an order with them earlier this morning. As an example, I'm planning on running the .451" 200 grain Barnes XPB out of my Optima V2 pistol using a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot. However, since this combination costs $1.10 per shot, I decided to buy some .452" 200 grain Berry's HP bullets for practice. This will allow me to practice far more cheaply at 29 cents per shot.

Once you figure out which bullet you plan to hunt with, you could order some sabots and cheap target-only bullets for practicing, plinking, and general shooting. Just make sure you order the correct sabots for that diameter bullet. Come season, sight in with your hunting bullets and you'll be set.
Will those bullets you listed go thru a .50 cal.?
Old 08-12-2017, 04:29 PM
Spike

These bullets/sabots are for a .50 cal, yes. The ones in your quote are for a pistol and are maybe a bit light for a rifle. There are a lot of bullets from different makers in the 240 grain to 300 grain weights in .451-.452 diameter [.45 cal] that will behave better in a long gun.
Old 08-12-2017, 08:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SoldSpartan
Will those bullets you listed go thru a .50 cal.?
With the right sized sabots for the bullet's diameter, you can fire just about any 40, 44, or 45 caliber pistol bullet trough a 50 cal inline. That said, you should probably choose something other than the ones I chose. I went with my choices because my muzzleloader is a pistol, and you'll be working with much higher velocities. The Berry's bullets might work just fine since they're soley target fodder, but I don't know how well that Barnes bullet would perform on a deer at muzzleloading rifle velocities.

I would recommend choosing a hardcast bullet the same diameter as the bullets you intend to hunt with, and as close in weight as possible. For instance, if you go with a 240 or 250 grain hunting bullet, you might try one of these for target shooting/plinking:

Hunters Supply Hard Cast Bullets 45 Caliber (452 Diameter) 250 Grain Lead Flat Nose

Meister Hard Cast Bullets 45 Caliber (452 Diameter) 230 Grain Lead Round Nose
Old 08-12-2017, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

Also: Berry's Superior Plated Bullets 45 Caliber (452 Diameter) 250 Grain Plated Flat Point