Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Off Topic - A Good Read >

Off Topic - A Good Read

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Topic - A Good Read

Old 03-16-2017, 04:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Off Topic - A Good Read

I just finished reading Man-Eaters of Kumaon by hunter-naturalist Jim Corbett. It details Corbett's experiences in the Kumaon region of India from the 1900 to the 1930s, while hunting man-eating tigers and leopards. One tiger, for example, was responsible for over 400 human deaths.

This guy's tracking skills were nothing short of amazing, sometimes tracking a tiger for many days. He could tell a tiger's age, sex, and size by it's pug marks. Many tigers turned man eater because of injury by gunfire or porcupines. On several occasions he predicted where on it's body a tiger was injured based on it's track.

See the reviews on Amazon, here:
https://www.amazon.com/Man-Eaters-Ku...ters+of+kumaon

Last edited by Semisane; 03-16-2017 at 05:37 AM.
Old 03-17-2017, 07:36 AM
Typical Buck

I have been meaning to buy a copy of that book myself. I was reading an article a few months ago about the rifle Rigby presented to Jim Corbett for killing that tiger. Sounds like a very interesting read and thanks for sharing.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like an interesting book but I'm not that much of a reading type guy. I can page through a magazine and read some articles that catch my eye.
However, with that being said, I personally have come across several of those man eaters in my younger days when I did some carousing in bars! You had to be really careful as some of those habitats were pretty dangerous. But I was getting pretty good at guessing their age, sex (very important) and size also.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

I personally have come across several of those man eaters in my younger days when I did some carousing in bars!
Bronko, those cougars are a lot easier to bag than tigers.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Semisane
Bronko, those cougars are a lot easier to bag than tigers.
And believe me when I tell you that some of them really needed bags!!!!!!!!!!!!