Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good Opening Day

Old 10-23-2016, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Good Opening Day

Saw 8 deer in the morning but no shots. Good thing because when I fired my round after the hunt, NOTHING. Went back that night and shot this doe just a few minutes after 6 o'clock

Knight wolverine, 80 grains 777 and a 240 grain Precision Rifle Extreme Elite (pure lead) bullet.

I love muzzleloading and love the precision rifle bullets. Now off to chase a buck!
Old 10-23-2016, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

Congratulations on a nice doe there. I am surprised that rifle failed to fire. My LK rifles (the wolverines early version) are so dependable. Although of the three there is one that will hit the #11 cap and sometimes you have to cock it and hit it again. I changed the breech plug with a new one and it still does it. So I suspect the spring in it. BUT I live with it.

How far did that doe run after being hit. It looks like excellent expansion on that bullet.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

That bullet worked well. Congrats on the doe.
Old 10-23-2016, 08:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well done gt. Perfect expansion on that bullet.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well gt2003, good shooting and good eating!!!! God does make us do somethings for a reason!!!!!!! Now I just wish I would listen more!!!!!
Old 10-23-2016, 04:04 PM
Spike

Awesome expansion of the bullet, she must have hit the ground on impact
Old 10-23-2016, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

nice doe and good eating too. congratulations.
Old 10-23-2016, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks gentlemen! She's actually boned out and I'm going to season some jerky tonight to make here in a day or two.

@Cayugad , she was quartering away and the bullet went in right behind her last rib, all the way through her vitals and lodged in her spine just at the base of her neck. She ran maybe 50 yards. I shot, lost her in the greenery but heard her crash just a few seconds later.

OK, the bullets...I started ML'ing a long time ago and the wolverine ALWAYS was super accurate. Bullet performance ( jacketed bullets) SUCKED! I shot 2 deer and didn't find them and swore if I shot another and didn't find it that I was done with ML hunting. ...enter Precision Rifle all lead bullets. These things are very accurate, always expand really well and hold together. They release energy in the animal and there is very little tracking. I know u all have your favorites but if you are ever challenged with deer running very long distances, at least consider them!
Old 10-24-2016, 07:35 AM
Fork Horn

I've used Precision Dead Center Bullets for a long time. I agree about the performance. The energy they release on impact is devastating.

When I hunt, this is the bullet that goes down the barrel. Its never let me down.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

My supply of dead centers was down to about 5 but I had 40 or so of the extreme elites that I ordered because they are CHEAP! I saw where many folks on their site hunt with them so thought What the Hell. No disappointments with that decision! My hunting partner shot a deer Saturday with a name brand copper jacketed bullet and ended up having to track it about 200 yards. No thank you, I'll stay with all lead. I took him a 12-pack of the extreme elites last night. Hoping to convert him as well!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.