Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I hope to SMOKE............ >

I hope to SMOKE............

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I hope to SMOKE............

Old 07-26-2016, 05:46 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Default I hope to SMOKE............

My first Black Bear hunt ever. I have a license this year.

I have started baiting. While not very big it is a start.

Not real sure what "Smoke" Option I will use, as I have several.
I am sorta leaning towards the 54 Cal. Sharps....

Wait for it - Wait for it!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/234058...posted-public/

JW

Ps let me know if the video doesn't work.

Last edited by JW; 07-30-2016 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Dominant Buck

What section did you pick? Its always nice to have bear come in right away. Then they get used to the bait and such. When I used to bait, sometimes they got to where they were standing out in the woods, waiting for me to dump the pails.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I had to save the video to a file to get it to open.
Old 07-28-2016, 04:02 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Thanks Semi I'll try to fix that.

Dave I have Area C.
Baiting only. No dogs.
JW
Old 07-28-2016, 07:27 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Thanks Semi I'll try to fix that.

Dave I have Area C.
Baiting only. No dogs.
JW
From what I have been reading in the paper of sightings and hearing, that is a good area. According to the new map I am a D. Used to be a A1 but I see they did away with that. And to be honest, I have not seen the bear around the house or even when riding through the forest like I used to. Locals got greedy and over baited and hunted the area. They definitely cut the bear population back. Which .... if you don't hunt them and just live with them is not a bad thing. I mean there are bear around. But what used to be common in sightings (at one point I was at least once a day in the yard) now is a few and far between sighting.

Good luck your hunt.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

We can't bait here in PA. So its mostly a hit or miss proposition. I've taken 3 so far with CF rifles. And had a chance at a smallish one last year with my .58 Rene in hand but passed on him. I've hunted over bait in Idaho and Maine and its a good way to take a long look at a bear and decide if you want to shoot or not. And sometimes, if its a hot set you can have a couple of bear to look at.
No matter the size though, and because of the rarity of shooting one in PA I feel obligated to do something with it. Either a shoulder mount or rug or something. So that's more money to spend.
And btw JW you're lucky. I've found that bears do not like cameras and like to smack or chew them.
Another thing you can do is to get a bottle of Anise Extract and soak a cloth in in and hang it high. They love the smell and it will draw them in to your site.
Old 07-30-2016, 07:34 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
And btw JW you're lucky. I've found that bears do not like cameras and like to smack or chew them.
Another thing you can do is to get a bottle of Anise Extract and soak a cloth in in and hang it high. They love the smell and it will draw them in to your site.

Bronko I do have condensed Liquid Smoke rags up. I do have Anise oil and that is next.

And that Video shows the bear walking right up to the camera. All mine are in a "Metal Bear Box" which at this point seems to work. I have numerous Snout photos. This bear sure was interested in my camera. No teeth marks on the metal box though.

[img]https://c4.staticflickr.com/9/8599/28035993603_29eb205161_c.jpg[/img

Thanks Dave.....
Just 4 miles west of me is Zone B - Hwy 141 is the dividing line. I always wanted to hunt behind dogs. Allowed in Zone B.
I have spent too many years judging and training pointing dogs. Would like to see some hounds work. However kill tag or not I've been invited to do just that. I found a group who do Make a Wish Bear hunts and I've been asked to help them.
The main guy owns a huge farm loaded with turkeys. Once their Make a Wish client has bear hunted I take them on a Damage permit Turkey hunt. Looking forward to making that happen for them and being part of that program.
JW
Old 07-30-2016, 07:38 AM
JW
Super Moderator

And I think I fixed that video

If not drop me a PM.

JW
Old 08-06-2016, 06:55 AM
Spike

Great pic and good luck! I'd love to shoot a muzzleloader one day.