Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Some updating on my Hawken >

Some updating on my Hawken

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Some updating on my Hawken

Old 08-04-2015, 07:56 AM
Banned

Default Some updating on my Hawken

First off, DONT DO IT!! Its a major pain in the butt! I still have a ton of filing to do on the butt plate as its so thick.

Well, not only is the Hawken updates with new steel trim " Still a work in progress" I got some new contacts and wanted to see how well she " the lady that did my eyes" got them as far as open sight shooting goes.

Im using a 32" deer creek barrel with 1:66 twist in .58 caliber shooting patched round balls.

90gr Olde Eynsford 2fg
.018" patches
Frontier's anti-rust & Patch lube
Home cast .570" round balls
Hot Shot Nipple
CCI #11 caps

No swabbing or cool down was needed today as the sun was down and quite comfortable.

Distance: 100 yards. Masking take over the rear sight is basically a sun shade to cut the glare of the sun as it was over my back left shoulder.

Steel Hawken style trigger upgrade. I hated that brass hooked finger thing!

First 2 shots,

4 shots total,

I am using a thinner .018" patch for testing its accuracy and while its extremely accurate, I see small signs of my 90gr 2fg load being boarder line from gas cutting. This load I shoot out to 170 yards with great accuracy, so I am not worried about using more powder. Olde Eynsford is like T7 in the black powder world, a hotter more powerful powder which lets you cut back in grains to achieve the same FPS as you would if you use normal goex/pyrodex.

Damn right I am thrilled!

Another change was the wedge key. The steel wedge key plates used the thicker "height wise" wedge key and I had to file fit the plates for it to go through. My barrel and tang is completely bedded so I was worried about some wiggle room between the barrel and wedge key. All appears to be just fine as it is.

While it was worth it in the end, it took me 7 hours just to get the trigger guard inletted and the buttplate installed.

One good thing about steel, if you remove to much WOOD, just pull out the welder and add a but of steel back and file it. I haven't done that as I am not THAT picky unless its a major error.

The rifle now weighs over 9lbs, but sucks up recoil ooooh so nicely.

I drew another new mexico deer tag, along with my buddy, so i'll be packing my Hawken while he uses my nephews Wolf.
Old 08-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now wait. You shot 4 shots into basically one hole at 100 yards with open sights? That was either very lucky or very excellent shooting or a bit of both. I wouldn't be worried about the thinner patches with accuracy like that.
Nice shooting
Old 08-04-2015, 12:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting MD, but could you do me a favor and kill that damn gnat on your signature? I keep wanting to swat at my screen!
Old 08-04-2015, 01:33 PM
Banned

LOL yeah I will get rid of that, it gets to me too now and then.

I have a video of me putting 3 shots touching at 100 yards. Did it earlier in the year. This is a new lube I make but still haven't made a real shooting video of me using it.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Banned

whew!! I finished up the butt plate today on a jewelers grinding stone. Had one slip and it cut a gouge into my stock that was small but ooooh did it make you hurt when it happened.

I used some 220 grit and buffed it out, along with some other areas that had a little wood removed, 1 light coat of stain put it right back with the original stain color. Now I just have to hand rub a few coats of true oil to finish it off and brown the butt plate.

Looks good! Shes all browned, no more ugly brass.