Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
At 400 Yard--Hard Cast Boolit >

At 400 Yard--Hard Cast Boolit

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

At 400 Yard--Hard Cast Boolit

Old 03-04-2015, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default At 400 Yard--Hard Cast Boolit

Screwbolts sent me these boolit, and calls them 289g water dropped wheel weight hard. They are intended to use in a sabot.

It was -4 at the house this morning at dawn. When i left home i intended to shoot from a nice warm truck at 100 yard, and sight in the Optima using the cast boolit. The boolit shot so straight, i thought perhaps i could try them at 400 yard.

Here is the VIDEO of shooting the boolit at an old rotten chunk of firewood.

One can see the wind really dissipates the smoke from the rifle quickly. The temperature up on the ridge was 9 degrees. The gps say the elevation of the rifle was 5094', and the elevation of the target was 5122'. The chunk of firewood fell down before i was ready to shoot. However, i could just so barely see the wood chunk laying down in the grass, so took the shot, which hit the rotten old chunk. Didn't bring a jug to shoot at, because i didn't plan to try a 400 yard shot in the bitter cold.

This next photo shows a puff of smoke from the rifle, and the rotten firewood chunk lying in the grass, with the boolit on the way.

The last photo shows the smoke from the rifle blown away away, and pieces of the rotten wood flying in the air, after being struck by the boolit.

Old 03-04-2015, 03:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Darn good shoot'n Ron! We'll make a long ranger out of you yet.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Beastly Wind

Today the wind was beastly. The first shot hit about 5 feet down wind of the jug. It took 8 shots to hit the jug, with the aim about 12 feet into the wind. The elevation dial was turned 33 moa above the 100 yard zero.

The VIDEO.

The jug barely jumped when hit by the boolit. Seems there isn't near enough energy, to use this load, at this range, for hunting. Nor would it be wise to shoot at a critter at this range in this kind of wind. Me, i can't imagine trying to make a clean kill when having to hold 12' into the wind.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Darn fancy shooting there Ron.

If you're getting over 1600 fps with that load the bullet would have around 500 ft. lbs. of energy at 400 yards, and would likely do the job on a mid chest shot. Still, I wouldn't do it either.

Are you able to drive to the jug's location, or are you walking back and forth?
Old 03-06-2015, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

There is a jeep trail on the ridgetop where the rifle is. The ridge kinda curls around, and the jeep trail heads down to a more major road. The trail gets me to 150 yard from the jug, which i then walk, but not so much 'back and forth'.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ron, you ever considered increasing the bullet weight to 300grs?
Old 03-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Perhaps tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 337g Boolit

The load was the same for this heavier boolit. There was less wind today, and it was from the opposite direction. The aim for the best shot was about 4 feet into the wind. The elevation was dialed up 30 moa. The VIDEO shows a near miss that made the jug move a tad. Ten shots were all misses.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ron did you use a wind meter or, did you order one?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:25 AM
Dominant Buck

amazing shooting....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.