Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
blackhorn powder and knight bighorn?? >

blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

blackhorn powder and knight bighorn??

Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

You fellows sure make something simple complicated...
Then our work here is done nchawkeye.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
Then our work here is done nchawkeye.

And I guarantee you and Cay know exactly where I'm going with this one...
Old 09-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
You fellows sure make something simple complicated...

I shoot one powder in all my muzzleloaders, plus I sight in some of my hunting buddy's inlines as well, they include Knights, CVAs and T/Cs...

Never had a problem getting great groups...

KISS......

Do you shoot blackhorn in those knights?
Old 09-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Spike

Is it possible not all plunger type muzzleloaders are created equal? Why would knight tell me its safe to shoot in my gun with the improved breech plug? They said they redesigned those plugs since blackhorn became so popular.

Scheels offered me 125 for my knight. But I'm going to try the new breech plug first.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by buckfever37
I can shoot BH in all of my Knights, but learned a long time ago not to rely on it in my open breech plunger Knights... I certainly tried even had a special BP made for doing just that... Results were the same - at anytime and you will never know when - it can get ya...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-16-2014 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:12 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by sabotloader
I can shoot BH in all of my Knights, but learned a long time ago not to rely on it in my open breech plunger Knights... I certainly tried even had a special BP made for doing just that... Results were the same - at anytime and you will never know when - it can get ya...

Thanks. Did you ever try their new breech plug? The way I'm looking at it is the new plug should improve things even I go back to triple 7. My red jackets and primers gets super dirty with triple seven. So if the new plug reduces blowback than it should help.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:17 PM
Fork Horn

Its not just knight ml . but all plunger style ml guns
Old 09-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by a1smokepole
Its not just knight ml . but all plunger style ml guns

So explain why knight would say its safe with there new breech plug? That's the part I'm not understanding about all of this. If they would said no its NOT SAFE I would of let it go. Heck I would of bought triple seven or sold my knight to get a cva.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, I don't shoot Blackhorn in anything...I prefer to shoot a powder that goes off every time I pull the trigger, gives good velocity, is easy to clean and is cheap enough that I can shoot a lot...

You fellows are just causing a problem when there weren't any.....
Old 09-16-2014, 05:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks. Did you ever try their new breech plug? The way I'm looking at it is the new plug should improve things even I go back to triple 7. My red jackets and primers gets super dirty with triple seven. So if the new plug reduces blowback than it should help.
Yes, I have the new breech plug both the FPJ and the experimental NFPJ.

The Big Horn is an excellent rifle it just was never designed to shoot BH. If you wander over to the Western Powders internet site, they will provide you with a lot of additional information about where the powder should be use and where it should not.

I personally could shoot BH if there wasn't anything else available but each time you shoot I would wonder if this were going to be the time... I did a lot of testing with both FPJ and NFPJ and certainly the FPJ is probably the safer of the two ignitions forms.

These jackets were shot with BH and a vented plug... take a close look at some of the primers...

Last edited by sabotloader; 09-16-2014 at 05:45 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.