Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
2014 elk hunt is done :( >

2014 elk hunt is done :(

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

2014 elk hunt is done :(

Old 09-15-2014, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default 2014 elk hunt is done :(

Well last year I was lucky and got a cow on the last day. Well that didn't happen this year. I hunted for 10 days of the 14 day hunt with no luck.
I started out in a new area this year. It has a lot of elk but they are on private land. I hung out in a place to watch and when they came into public I went after them.

The plan went well on the first couple days but one problem was too many bulls. My hunt was for cows and there were 10 bulls for every cow. I passed on these cows because they were at 175 yards. I was practiced up on shooting out to 200 and felt confident. But my self imposed rule is no first shot past 150.

After two days of cat and mouse, they got the idea I was not up to any good and headed for private land. I hunted there for 4 days and then headed for a new area.

This area had more public land but NO elk. I got my elk here last year but I hunted for 7 days before I saw her. I hunted 4 days and this was all I got.

This years elk hunt was not as successful as last year but it was better than work. I guess there is always next year. Ron
Old 09-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Dominant Buck

Well if all you had to do was walk out and shoot your game animal and take it home, everyone would be doing it. It sounds like a good hunt anyway. Better luck next year.
Old 09-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess that's why it's called hunting. Anyway, kudos on sticking to your 150 yard first shot rule. Integrity has a price, but is worth it.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Beautiful country!!!

Glad you got back safely and had a few days to enjoy what the good Lord has given us..
Old 09-16-2014, 02:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I am sorry to hear about not getting your tag filled.. But, as others stated it is not like going shopping.. I am glad you enjoyed your hunt though..
Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 AM
Typical Buck

Elk hunting is hard. At least that is my limited experience. It looks like you had a wonderful experience.

I venture off to a KS MZ deer hunt later today. I'm using the early season to explore new land. Hoping for success.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I have shot over 20 head of elk so I am not too worried about not getting one. I really want my son to get a deer in a couple weeks. That is going to be the next thing I need to get done.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry you didn't get one this year. And congratulations on sticking to your 150 yard rule. I'm sure that was hard after a few days.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ron I've gone on 4 outfitted elk hunts. I could have shot cows or spike bulls but I was determined to shoot at least a 5x5. I have yet to drop the hammer or release an arrow. So I respect your 150 yard limit. I know exactly how you feel but probably like you I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything (Except a big bull!!!).
Old 09-18-2014, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

A bad day hunting tops a mediocre day of working anytime. Good luck with the deer.