Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
My hunting day (yesterday) >

My hunting day (yesterday)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My hunting day (yesterday)

Old 10-07-2012, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default My hunting day (yesterday)

What a beautiful start to the day. I eased into my treestand in the pre-dawn light of a new mooon. As it started to get lighter the songbirds began their morning music. Then the rustling in the tree tops as the squirrels begin their day. A bit later I could hear the faint soft tree yelps of some turkeys. Then later still their cackles and fly downs. Most of you know and are familiar with these sounds. Makes you feel alive! After a while the sun began peeking through the tops of the trees. The warm rays feeling good on my face as I sat there enjoying the surroundings not even caring if a deer showed up.
Then along about 0930 the sun disappeared and clouds set in. I could feel the temp dropping and thought to myself...I wonder if I'm going to get rained on. That thought no sooner entered my mind when I heard it coming. Heavy rain, getting closer and closer as it pounded the leaves on the trees. Within seconds it was on top of me and gave me a good soaking.
Oh well, the day started out great. I packed it up and headed for home to dry off and have a hot cup of coffee. Still satisfied about the morning.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Dominant Buck

A very good read... It really isn't about shooting a buck, or missing the monster. What you described is the reason I hunt. Just the different sights, sounds, smells, and easy feeling it brings to me, being out in the woods. And nothing better then a cup of hot coffee after getting soaked.

You're in for some nice cool weather. It was in the 20's this morning. Good heavy frost on the grass. That means rabbits are good to eat with no fear of parasites anymore. And all the little biting flying creatures only will be back late afternoon after it warms up. Better hunting... never mind. Enjoy the woods.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

bronko22000

Gees! Bronko - what a well written description... It put the reader right there with and feeling exactly what you were seeing and hearing...

Wednesday, i will try to hear and see what you are describing only in a different location.

Awesome

Last edited by sabotloader; 10-07-2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Typical Buck

Nothing like seeing the woods come alive.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man Bronko, you made me want to go sit in a tree even though our season is a month off. Good read my man.

Darn good thing you headed home though. Old folks like you shouldn't take a chill.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

bronko22000, Your writing transported me to the tree.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:55 AM
Spike

Very nice. On the next story, I would like to hear "suddenly I heard a twig snap......"
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very cool. This is what it's all about. At least for me. Getting a deer is the bonus. For me it's all about being out there, enjoying the woods. This is one of the few things that can really put me at ease when I'm facing any of lifes' many stressors. If it wasn't for the woods, I'd probably have lost it a long time ago.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Oneofthesedays
Very nice. On the next story, I would like to hear "suddenly I heard a twig snap......"
The deer here don't snap twigs! They're too darn quiet. At my age, I normally see them long before I can hear them. I'm half deaf.
Normally my story ends with "a noise woke me up and when I opened my eyes......."
Old 10-09-2012, 07:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
The deer here don't snap twigs! They're too darn quiet. At my age, I normally see them long before I can hear them. I'm half deaf.
Normally my story ends with "a noise woke me up and when I opened my eyes......."
LOL! There was a buck looking at you right?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.