Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
The .54 LOVES round balls... >

The .54 LOVES round balls...

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The .54 LOVES round balls...

Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM
Fork Horn

A .54 round ball can do any big game you care to shoot in North America. Prob'ly knock a deer off of its feet. Holding off level does tend to screw everything up a little.
Old 12-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Fork Horn

I have a Lyman Great Plains rifle in .54, which loves 90 of ff with a patched ball. I am allways amazed at how efficient a killer it is, yet when skinning out the deer, minimal tissue damage. Mine has a very curved but plate, and gets real ornery on the shoulder after around 6 shots. My buddies Deerskalker with its shotgun style pad is much easier on you. The sore shoulder kinda goes with the territory of the traditional design. Remember, darn few of the old timers spent any sort of time target shooting. It cost money.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Put the curved part in your arm pit or the point will bite you.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the advice guys. I seen plenty of deer but none cooperated by stopping closer than 120 yards. Probably a good thing I didnt kill anything as the big storm left 21 inches and no power, phone, heat, water or anything else and it doesnt look real good to have any of it back before New Years.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Dominant Buck

sorry to hear of your storm damage. I hope things turn back to normal for you ASAP.