Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Report –Dad’s Optima 26" Blackhorn 209 >

Report –Dad’s Optima 26" Blackhorn 209

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Report –Dad’s Optima 26" Blackhorn 209

Old 04-30-2008, 04:26 PM

Default Report –Dad’s Optima 26" Blackhorn 209

This powder is good so far in the Optima’s. Can’t wait to try it in my Omega.I am also trying it in my nephew’s CVA Mag-Bolt with a Hex breech plug. Groups were not as good - 6" I am tryng more tonight with 85 gr.
Posted on the Savage sight
A couple of days ago I posted some results with Blackhorn 209 in my Savage. I have also been shooting in some of my other Muzzleloader. I thought if it gave good accuracy and consistency in my Savage it might be an alternative her in Michigan where the legality of shooting smokeless has different opinions. My non-smokeless guns are shooting 250 SST low drag sabots under 1"MOA with no cleaning or crud ring. With my Savage the velocity is about 1900fps (BH209)and I can easily shoot 250 gr bullets around 2400 fps (N110) with my Savage. The Savage has did not shoot a decent group with BH209 with my proven bullet (Harvester 260 hex) so I tried the 250 sst low drag in my Savage. I have a loose barrel and the sabot slid down very, very easy. When I shot it went puff, kind of like smokeless when there is no pressure. I watched the bullet go about 10 yards. My observations so far are; this powder BH209 acts more like smokelss than BP, It obviously needs some pressure and a firm sabot (I don’t think it has to be as tight though) It has velocities a little less than 5744 in my Savage which doesn’t shoot very good for me. I think my Savage’s loose bore likes faster speeds. The powder seats just like smokeless and there is no compression when seating. It is like a rock when the ramrod seats the bullet. It even looks like IMR4759. Maybe they have to put something in it to make it smoke because it smokes less than other BP subs