Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Oiled Bore?

Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Oiled Bore?

Ahhhh ok. Oil in bore ok...oil in chamber bad! Gotcha! Makes sense. Sabotloader I am guilty of the lubed bore when shooting the centerfire also. I have a lot of dead critters courtesy of that as well. For some reason I never could make myself leave the bore without oil after spending all that time defouling it. Thanks guys!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doe Dumper

Me too for a lot of years now... just remeber it is a very light Thin almost non-existant coat -just for bore protection...
Old 04-18-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

***Newbie Alert*** Ok, for best accuracy from my KRB, I go to the range with a clean bore, load with powder and bullet, then run a lightly lubed patch down until I hit the bullet. Shoot. Do I swab the bore and the repeat, or do I repeat this for as many shots as possible before swabbing the bore? What oil should I use?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

SuperKirby

I was a bit afraid this discussion might lead down the wrong course a bit. Kirby all I can tell you is what I do. I do not think you need to lube the barrel each shot with with an oiled patch.

Most often the damp patch that you patch with between shots will provide all the residual lubricant you need in the bore while at the range. I use regular windex for a patch solution it is 99.9% soap of some sort with a bit ammonia mixed in. The soap and the ammonia act as a stripper - stripping fouling form the bore, the ammonia aids in drying because of it rapid evaporation characteristics.... but even then there is a residual amount of dry soap left in the bore that does and will act as a lubricant, all the lubricant that is necessary for sabot... But at the range i do help it along a bit as I spin the outside of the sabot on my tongue to add just a bit of saliva moisture to it. All of this acts as a lubricant, enough lubricant at the range anyway. I do patch the barrel with a very light coat of gun oil while hunting to protect the bore - but not needed at the range.

I should also suggest to you I shoot T7 andI am one of those guys that rarely strip cleans a gun during the season and I am not suggesting you do that either until you are totally comfortable with how it works... I do however patch the barrel with a windex patch every time I shoot during the hunting season - this patch(s) will neutralize the ill-effects of the T7 and then I will apply a very very light coat of bore oil to protect the bore from rust while hunting. That light coat of oil remains in the bore until I repeat the process... so in effect I shoot a semi fouled barrel all the time.

I hope this makes some sense... it does to me but I am afraid unless you see what I am talking about - it is kinda like "what does he say here???"