Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Looking for some advise on peeps and powder tools >

Looking for some advise on peeps and powder tools

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for some advise on peeps and powder tools

Old 03-24-2008, 08:32 PM
Fork Horn

Default Looking for some advise on peeps and powder tools

After muzzleloader hunting for 3 years and reading tons of info on this site I have figured out3 things:

1. Need to get a peep sight on my Omega instead of the open sights. (Scopes are illegal here).

2. Need to ditch the APP sticks and switch toloose powder.

3. Need to actually try the XTP 300s that came with my Omega instead of only shooting the Powerbelts I found on sale for 50 cents a piece.

As far as #1 goes I hear that the Williams WGRS may be OK if I get a new front sight that is lower than the stock front sight. Thompson makes one as well.If you have any opinions on the peep sight for an Omega please let me know. Havent heard much about the Thompson peep.

As far as #2 goes I need some advice on a powder measurer and what you use while hunting as far as speed loaders goes. I have been using red speed loaders with 2 sticks and a bullet in the speed loaders. Not sure they will work for loose powder.Are there different speed loaders or something else you use when using loose powder and sabot / conicals? What powder measurer should I get for a reasonable price.

As far as #3 goes I just need to shoot and see how those bullets work.

If anyone has recommendations on peeps, powder measuring tools I need, and speed loaders for loose powder please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Looking for some advise on peeps and powder tools

ORIGINAL: johnnydialtone

After muzzleloader hunting for 3 years and reading tons of info on this site I have figured out3 things:

1. Need to get a peep sight on my Omega instead of the open sights. (Scopes are illegal here).

2. Need to ditch the APP sticks and switch toloose powder.

3. Need to actually try the XTP 300s that came with my Omega instead of only shooting the Powerbelts I found on sale for 50 cents a piece.

As far as #1 goes I hear that the Williams WGRS may be OK if I get a new front sight that is lower than the stock front sight. Thompson makes one as well.If you have any opinions on the peep sight for an Omega please let me know. Havent heard much about the Thompson peep.

As far as #2 goes I need some advice on a powder measurer and what you use while hunting as far as speed loaders goes. I have been using red speed loaders with 2 sticks and a bullet in the speed loaders. Not sure they will work for loose powder.Are there different speed loaders or something else you use when using loose powder and sabot / conicals? What powder measurer should I get for a reasonable price.

As far as #3 goes I just need to shoot and see how those bullets work.

If anyone has recommendations on peeps, powder measuring tools I need, and speed loaders for loose powder please let me know.

Thanks in advance.
1) for peeps I gave you one on previous thread.

2) for measuring tool, I like this U-View powder measure: http://tinyurl.com/35srxg and the flask is also nice, I have one of both of these.

3. I have some green Knight brand speed loaders that hold a .452bullet with sabot very tight, they are tapered slightly. They work very good for loose powder, when hunting. I also use these and keep the bullets separate from the powder in a separate clear speed loader, since I find the 3f gets between the sabot and bullet and I loose a little powderin the seating of the bullet.

4. As for PBs, shoot a stronger bullet (Gold Dot, Nosler, SW, Barnes almost anything)or ask Mr. Pee, I meanProfessor PB,how to shoot them---like 80g 777 absolute max.
Chap Gleason

Old 03-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Power belts didn't shoot worth a hoot out of my Omega. It prefer's the heavier bullets as well, 300 - 340 gr work well in mine. Never tried any of the real heavy stuff yet (400-500 gr).

I use 35mm film canisters for my pre-measured powder loads. In another I put a patch or two, a primer and a saboted bullet.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

The Omega X7 comes equipped with a Williams peep from the factory, unless you buy it from Cabelas and they take it off and put on a cheap $20 scope and whine when you want the factory peep back before you buy!

Mine works very well, however I had to get a different front post from T/C as the factory one was impossible to get a zero with. I think I had to get a taller one.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Fork Horn

Chap,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to contact the store or manufacturer and see if the V peep will work on the Omega. Looks like an interesting idea.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: johnnydialtone

Chap,

Thanks for the info. I'll have to contact the store or manufacturer and see if the V peep will work on the Omega. Looks like an interesting idea.
www.rmcsports.com, nice folks to deal with. They just bought the Ox-yoke brand of MLing supplies, they are in No. Penna. they make a very accurate Flintlock to that costs $600. I would like one, but the $600 I don't like.
Chap