Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Dumb question...

Old 12-13-2007, 05:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Dumb question...

I took my inline out on Nov 12 hunting loaded with 90 grains of T7 and a 300 gr Shockwave and didnt see anything so i didnt shoot it. Brought it home and locked it in the cabinet as I knew Id be going out again eventually this year. Now after a month do you guys think I should pull the breech plug and push the bullet up a little and re charge and re seat bullet or just take it out and hunt with it with the same load? This gun has NEVER misfired...even after hunting in rain and snow for 3 or 4 days.

Im thinkin it should be ok to use the same load...what do ya'll think?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:27 PM

Default RE: Dumb question...

I'd push it all out. You'll only be out a single sabot. Bullet is still reusable.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

If the buck of a lifetime walksup and the gunmisfires - are you going to be happy because you saved a few cents on powder?

Old 12-13-2007, 05:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doe Dumper

There are so many varibles that go into that equation... the biggest being your local humidity and the second your belief whether the load is good or not. I hardly ever pull or shoot a load out because I honestly believe I know the condition of that load. I also should say I am only dealing with loose T7 - I do not know about the Pyro's. There is a film of something around a T7 powder granuale that helps resist humidity (resists not stops). You can see what I mean if you drop 5/6 grains into a smal bowl with standing water in it. The T7 will drop to the bottom form a reversed cone and stay that way for hours if it does not get agitated. It will keep it's individual granualr shape and the cone will stay intact. If you adgitate it at all it will disolve. if you had the time and or the method to suck the water off or let the water evaporate over a long period of time - when the whole thing dry, completelydry,you can ignite the cone and it will flare as if it were just poured... done that....

Now with all that said - "If in doubt - shoot it or pull it out" automatic rule.

Again I was positive my load in my Remington which has been in for at least 3 weeks now - through hunting in good weather, rainy weather, and the last week snow - was good... but tonight just to prove to myself and I did not want to blow a shot at an elk - I took the gun out in the shop and pushed the load out... just wasted110 grains of T7-2f and an MMP HPH-.458/50 sabot... everything was bone dry - put the powder in a empty tuna can - touched it off with a long nosed lighter...flared right up... BUT - I know the load I put in tonight will go boom in the morning.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im 99.9% sure its good but I think Ill just push it up recharge it and reseat it for good measure. You guys talked me into it..lol. Im gonna test this powder too to see how it does. Be the first one I ever re charged from the breech plug end..lol.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Now, after making the comment about saving a few cents on powder and risking the chance of a misfire - let me ask a question that might make it sound like I'm trying to save a few cents.
Why throw the sabot away????
I've pushed out a charge several times over the years, and I always save/shoot the sabot & bullet. Just because it (the sabot) has a few streaks on it from the rifling, the petals have never been flared. I've never seen any accuracy problems from sabots salvaged this way in an inline with relatively shallow rifling.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doe Dumper

Im 99.9% sure its good but I think Ill just push it up recharge it and reseat it for good measure. You guys talked me into it..lol. Im gonna test this powder too to see how it does. Be the first one I ever re charged from the breech plug end..lol.
I am not totally sure what you are indicating you are going to do, but i think I am reading that you are going dump the powder out the breech - push the bullet up and then recharge from the breech... if that is your thought I would like to recommend that you push the whole works out. The bullet or sabot may have some powder hanging on to it and not all of it may come out of the breech... punch it all out - run a couple of dry patches through the whole thing - re-install the BP and load up normally..

just my thoughts...
Old 12-13-2007, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

Wabi, you have a valid question, I too have pushed out bullets with the sabots and have reused them both. i don't think the rifling marks on the sabot effectit in any way. In fact i have tested them at the range, and the accuracy was the same.

As forthe powder, when you bring a gun in from the outside after hunting with it, there is an extreme temperaturechange. When steel is exposed to that extreme change, it sweats. You may have noticed it, dropplets of water on the outside of the barrel. Well it doesn't just sweat on the outside, it sweats on the inside too. When I takemy ML out during the IL seasons, I do not bring it back inside till the end of that particular season(3 to 4 days). I lock it in my vehicle or place it in my buddies barn (which is unheated). That prevents moisture from affecting the powder in anyway..... Just a suggestion!!

Push the load out, swab it once or twice, push patch down to breech and fire primer and check patch for good burn. Then reload.. No worries or woulda, coulda, or shouldas..................... Good luck hunting.......
Old 12-13-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did that SL... I was gonna just recharge it if everything went perfect...but I just decided to push it out and run some swabs through the barrel. Common sense prevailed on that one..lol. You were right as there was a little powder on the backside of the sabot. This was pretty educational for such a semmingly simple operation On a different note..the Triple 7 ignited and burned perfectly in the pan I poured it into. I really like the stuff even if it does leave a crud ring..lol. Wabi I reused the same sabot and shockwave as well..lol... Should be good to go all bright and early tomorrow! Thanks guys!

I have killed the 2 biggest bucks of my life this year so no need to give bad luck a chance to creep back in yet.Im sure its returning soon enough.