Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
.45cal Omega problems >

.45cal Omega problems

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.45cal Omega problems

Old 12-28-2002, 04:16 PM

Default .45cal Omega problems

I have a .45cal Omega with a 1-20 twist barrel. I have not had a lot of luck finding a load for this gun. I've tried just about every bullet/powder combination that I can. The best is with 100grs of 777 and the 275 Power Belt. This combination will give me about a 3" (5 shot) group at 100yds. Definitely nothing to brag about!
I heard that T/C is going to change the rate of twist for the .45 to something slower the first part of 2003 and that T/C will replace the 1-20" barrels if they will not shoot tighter than a 3" group at 100yds.
Is anyone else having the same problem I'm having with the .45?

Keep it in the 10X
Mac454
Old 12-28-2002, 05:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .45cal Omega problems

Call T/C. Tell them your rifle is the 1:20 model and you want the 1:28. I think they will replace it.

Old 12-28-2002, 05:46 PM

I had the same difficulty with Powerbelts in my .45cal Black Diamond XR. After switching to Knight Red Hot 175gr with 150grs of pellets I got good groups, so far the Red Hots have shot better out of mine than anything I've found.
Old 12-28-2002, 09:28 PM

1950KID...I have contacted T/C and explained my accuracy problems to them, via e-mail. They did say that they were busy and that it could be a couple of weeks before they could respond back.
A friend of mine who also purchased the .45cal. Omega did call T/C. They told him to send in the rifle after the first of the year and that they would shoot it there at the factory to determine if there was indeed an accuracy problem. If so they would replace it with one of the new twisted barrels 1-28 or 1-30...I'm not sure what they're going with.
That is what I was hoping to find out here. If someone as unfortunate as us, was having the same trouble and if they new more than what we did, as to what was going on at T/C.
I know that T/C is a very reputable Co. and will make good on their warranty.
Mtn. Hunter
I have tried the 175's and the new 195's with powder charges of 100-150grs of both Pyrodex Pellets and 777. The 195's are the most accurate of all the .40cal/sabot combinations I've tried so far, but the accuracy is not acceptable with powder charges over 100grs.
I am a power freak....I guess. I like to shoot heavy powder charges as long as the gun is capable of doing so....accurately.
That's where the "454" in mac454 comes from...the 454Casull.
I know that you don't need 150grs. of powder in a muzzleloader to effectively harvest whitetails, but I want to get the full advantages out of my 45cal....velocity/energy available.
Where I hunt here in Illinois, you can get shots over 200yds. and when that big guy steps out into the clearing, I want a muzzleloader that I can depend on to make that shot count. I know the 45cal. muzzloaders with the proper twist for accuracy will be just the ticket I'm looking for.
What's the rate of twist in your Black Diamond and are the groups (5 shot)less than 2" @ 100yds.?
Keep it in the 10X
mac454
Old 12-28-2002, 09:28 PM

1950KID...I have contacted T/C and explained my accuracy problems to them, via e-mail. They did say that they were busy and that it could be a couple of weeks before they could respond back.
A friend of mine who also purchased the .45cal. Omega did call T/C. They told him to send in the rifle after the first of the year and that they would shoot it there at the factory to determine if there was indeed an accuracy problem. If so they would replace it with one of the new twisted barrels 1-28 or 1-30...I'm not sure what they're going with.
That is what I was hoping to find out here. If someone as unfortunate as us, was having the same trouble and if they new more than what we did, as to what was going on at T/C.
I know that T/C is a very reputable Co. and will make good on their warranty.
Mtn. Hunter
I have tried the 175's and the new 195's with powder charges of 100-150grs of both Pyrodex Pellets and 777. The 195's are the most accurate of all the .40cal/sabot combinations I've tried so far, but the accuracy is not acceptable with powder charges over 100grs.
I am a power freak....I guess. I like to shoot heavy powder charges as long as the gun is capable of doing so....accurately.
That's where the "454" in mac454 comes from...the 454Casull.
I know that you don't need 150grs. of powder in a muzzleloader to effectively harvest whitetails, but I want to get the full advantages out of my 45cal....velocity/energy available.
Where I hunt here in Illinois, you can get shots over 200yds. and when that big guy steps out into the clearing, I want a muzzleloader that I can depend on to make that shot count. I know the 45cal. muzzloaders with the proper twist for accuracy will be just the ticket I'm looking for.
What's the rate of twist in your Black Diamond and are the groups (5 shot)less than 2" @ 100yds.?
Keep it in the 10X
mac454
Old 12-29-2002, 04:25 AM
Typical Buck

I bought the Encore in 45 cal,have written T/C numerous times complaining that it was a piece of junk,once they sent me a box of 180 gr bullets to try but they did not group in it either.I have tried precisson bullets,power belts,hornady,barnes and with pyrodex,777,and clean shot to no avale.If you will check out the groups below you can see what the 50 cal and the knight 45 will do.
If you will check out pression bullets site you can see that T/C sent them a 1:28 in barrel to try.I have asked the question before too if they were going to change the twist rate and they told me that they were working on it.He also states that they tried the new knight with 1:30 twists but it did not shoot good enough to take on a hunt,I believe for Caribou.
T/C has never mentioned me sending the barrel back for them to check,I bought the 50 cal barrel and threw the 45 barrel back in the closet.Tried to sell it but no one wants to buy it.I am not a newbe to black powder shooting,I have had Knights,rugers,T/C,and Savage and some of the cheapies,over all and the most consistant shooter is the Ruger 77/50,I wish they would come out with a 45 cal.I would have to try one.

http://www.hunting-pictures.com/memb...ght&encore.jpg
Old 12-29-2002, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

MAC454, Just ship the gun back to T/C with a letter stating that the 1:20 barrel is vno good, and you want a 1:28 barrel. Be polite. If they have the rifle in front of them. they may just go ahead and fix it. Good luck.

Old 12-29-2002, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Knight Mag Disc in .50 caliber - SS/black synthetic - has been fired about 20-25 times. I bought the rifle new and it's in mint condition with all accessories and the box. I just don't shoot it, instead I find myself picking up my White or my Encore when I go shooting or hunting.
Anybody want to swap me one of those 209x45s?

Okay, so if you don't want to swap, try this load: White Powerstar .450 350 grain saboted bullet http://www.splitfireguns.com/store/m...TOKEN=80993547
on top of 80 grains of Triple7 FFg and a Win209 primer.

I put just a tad of bore butter on the two grooves at the base. Don't know that it does anything for me other than make the bullet seat a "little" easier. Is very tight in my bore. I think the key is a bullet and sabot combo on the very heavy end of what's available and a very tight fitting bullet/sabot combo.

There is NOTHING wrong with a 1:20" twist in a .45 . Something else is amiss with these barrels. Run a tight patch down your bore and see if it gets alternately loose, then tight, then... ???

This rifle is 1:20 twist -

Haven't had much range time with the PowerStars in the Encore just yet but this definitely shows promise

don't you think?
Old 12-29-2002, 08:27 AM

herman. Those are nice groups! You don't get those types of groups without spending a lot of time at the range trying different bullet/powder combinations. I myself, prefer to shoot 5 shot groups instead of the 3. It's amazing the number of times I have a super group going and I then I throw out the 4th or 5th shot...."poop"
I have the T/C Encore and the Knight Disc (both 50's) and I have had nothing but excellant results from both rifles. I've never owned the Ruger, but I have shot them. They are nice.
I'm just getting into the "new" .45cal bandwagon. My only previous .45cal was my first blackpowder rifle a Kentucky long rifle kit.....some 30 years ago that I still have and shoot ocassionaly.
I knew that there were some problems with the rate of twist with the 45's before I bought this Omega. I thought that T/C had the problem straightened out. Once I'm happy with the .45cal Omega with whatever rate of twist they come up with. I want to purchase the .45cal barrel for the Encore.
What was the rate of twist on your 45cal Encore barrel? I had always thought that it was 1-28 earlier and that they changed it to 1-20.
I have been to the Precission Bullet web site. They have a very good informative site! This is where I realized that there were others that were having the same problem with the 45cal T/C.
1950KID... You better believe that I'll be sending them the rifle back. And "yes" it always pays off better to be polite. T/C has never done me wrong....yet. I've owned just about all the models made by T/C and they are a top shelf Co.
Thanks for the help guys....Keep it in the 10X
mac454
Old 12-29-2002, 08:37 AM

underclocked. Those are nice groups too, but I want to shoot a lighter bullet (155-180gr.) with a 150gr. powder charge or as close to that as possible.
I don't want a 45-70 already have one.
Keep it in the 10X
mac454

Quick Reply: .45cal Omega problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.