Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 I want to get a TC but which one? >

I want to get a TC but which one?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I want to get a TC but which one?

Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Fork Horn

Default I want to get a TC but which one?

I want to get a TC for this season but am not sure which one to get. I've been reading up on them and really like the Triumph, Encore, and Omega. I live in Illinois so there won't be to many shots I need to make over 100-150 yards. Right now I'm leaning towards the Triumph simply because of the price and how it is supposed to be easier to clean. What do you guys think? I'd like to buy my gun in the next week or two.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2007, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I want to get a TC but which one?

If I was getting a TC , it would be a pro hunter
Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JohnnyLonghorns

I want to get a TC for this season but am not sure which one to get. I've been reading up on them and really like the Triumph, Encore, and Omega. I live in Illinois so there won't be to many shots I need to make over 100-150 yards. Right now I'm leaning towards the Triumph simply because of the price and how it is supposed to be easier to clean. What do you guys think? I'd like to buy my gun in the next week or two.

Thanks!
The Triumph is such a new gun that most of us on this forum don't have any experience with it. However some gun writers have:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/thompson-center_triumph.htm

pro hunter:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/t-c_encore_pro_hunter.htm

Omega:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/thompson_omega.htm

Here is an article you should read also:
http://www.chuckhawks.com/most_accurate_muzzleloaders.htm

Alot of good info on load selection, powders, primers, etc on Chuck Hawks. Chap Gleason
Old 07-11-2007, 08:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have an Omega and 2 Encore Pro Hunters, although all the mentioned muzzleloaders will serve you as an excellent rifle, it's the Encore Pro Hunters that truly are a cut above the rest! Awesome firearms and as easy to shoot, clean and store as anything you could possibly find.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Dominant Buck

If you have no desire to interchange barrels, take that into consideration. You are paying for that feature, whether you use it or not. Many Encores are purchased because the new owner intends to change out barrels to modern center fire. If this interests you, then the selection gets easier.

If what you want is a "muzzle loader" and have no intentions of changing barrels, then consider the Omega or the Triumph. Now granted the Triumph is a "new model" but it is a big brother of the Omega with the improvements that hunters wanted to see in the Omega but never got. Things like a larger trigger guard for hunting with out removing your gloves, the quick release breech plug, guaranteed 3-3.5 pound factory trigger, and the weather shield coating to make the gun more water proof then ever. I think Thompson Center has a winner. I have not purchased any of the drop block style rifles because the muzzleloaders I have get the job done with ease. My Black Diamond XR will shoot with the best of them.

Another thing to take into consideration is stock design. I am old fashion. The drop down style of the Encore, Pro Hunter, Optima, etc just does not appeal to me. Again, this is a personal preference and I mean no disrespect to the rifle or those that own them. I have shouldered them at stores and granted, I could get used to them and might even like them in time, I just like the straight style of the Omega, Triumph, etc.

All of them rifle will be able to do what you are asking of your rifle selection. There are some excellent sales on Omega's because they are being phased out. Start looking at the on line stores for Omega sales. You might be able to get a stainless steel model with the kind of stock features you like for a price you are more then willing to pay, for such a fine rifle. The Omega is a time tested proven rifle. Kind of hard to beat that.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't havve any experiance with the Triumph yet. Although that will be my next rifle.
I so have a lot of experiance with the encore and the Omega as well as the Black dimond and the White Mountin carbine. I am definetly a TC man and with the recent sale of the company (which I'm not a big fan of) I hope I will remain.

Anyway to answere your question both of these guns are very nice and both are easy to clean and work on. And as long as you don't do something to these guns TC will take care of then for life.

If I had to choose one and was only looking at the muzzle loader aspect I would go with the Omega hands down. First of all the exspence the Omega is half the price, Cleaning the Omega is as easy as the Encore. and My Omega is the most accurate gun (muzzle loader or smokless) I have ever owned out to 200 yards.

I know picking one of these fine guns is hard to do that is why I have to have them all. But everyone has to start somewhere and I do wish you good luck. Just remember a muzzle loader is only as good as you make it by which I mean you have to work them it takes time and money to find the best load for your gun. Keep it clean as a whistel and it will last you a lifetime. Good Luck
Old 07-11-2007, 12:20 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not trying to sway you away from TC they have some fine rifles, but take a look at the Knight rolling block... it has a fine trigger, green mountain barrel and the stainless/ black comp. model can be bought for $290 from Natchez. Just a thought
Old 07-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: IL-Cornfed

I have an Omega and 2 Encore Pro Hunters, although all the mentioned muzzleloaders will serve you as an excellent rifle, it's the Encore Pro Hunters that truly are a cut above the rest! Awesome firearms and as easy to shoot, clean and store as anything you could possibly find.

You have an awsome set up there IL-Cornfed, it looks beautiful, functional and from the looks of your groups you posted earlier, it shoots awsome.
Chap Gleason