Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hot Water...

Old 10-08-2006, 12:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Hot Water...

I was wondering if I SHOULD clean my Lyman GPR in hot water every once in a while??? I do a regular cleaning after my shooting but not sure if I need to do the hot water thing? Thanks!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:43 PM

Default RE: Hot Water...

Although you will hear some folks say that you can clean some of new "sealed" breech in-lines by simply running patches through them, I still do the old fashioned hot soapy water thing when a thorough cleaning is needed. I tried just pushing patches through both my Omega and new Gensis; and was still able to find small areas of sooty residuearound the breecharea with a Q-tip. For the hooked breech Hawken type rifles, the bucket of hot soapy water is pretty much a given among those I know who use them. And it really isn't that big of an inconvenience either. Maybe 15 minutes. The use of very hot water and high pressure air helps.
Old 10-08-2006, 12:52 PM

I have spent a long time trying to clean my Omega with patches and cleaner, and it was still dirty. Hot soapy water will clean it out in minutes!
Old 10-08-2006, 12:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Personally, my traditional rifles are all given a VERY HOT WATER BATH with some Dawn Dish Soap in it. I want to make as much water rush through the breech and out through the bolster or vent hole as possible. It is the one sure way I know of to get all the fowling out of the end of the rifle.

A person came to my house once who only patches his rifle clean. Before we shot I asked him if he had run alcohol patches down it to remove the grease. Since he had not, I offered him some and low and behold the fowling that alcohol brought up, though not much, it was some, and that was sitting in the bottom of his rifle.

So in answer to your question, YES, I would do the water bath thing every time I shoot the rifle or as often as possible. Saying that, I need to go clean my Lyman Trade Rifle. I just got in from the range.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks fellas', I'm on it now!
Old 10-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

Thanks fellas', I'm on it now!
No... we ain't done teachin' ya' yet...

The most improtant part to a very hot water bath is having ramrod, bore brush, Q-tips, pipe cleaners,3-4 dry patches, alcohol, two more dry patches - then gun oil on both sides of a last dry patch RIGHT AT YOUR FINGERTIPS -- immediately after removing the barrel from the sink or bucket.

DO NOT go searching for all this stuff AFTER watering the inside of your bore. Doing so may cause flash rust by the time you get back with all the proper components.

Hope this helps!

Thompson Center Arms -- Triple Se7en Powder -- Buffalo Bullet Co.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Dominant Buck

Another advantage of using Hot water as hot as you can stand it is, it evaporates quickly!
Old 10-08-2006, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I was wondering if I SHOULD clean my Lyman GPR in hot water every once in a while??? I do a regular cleaning after my shooting but not sure if I need to do the hot water thing? Thanks!
You didn't say what your present cleaning regime consists of, or how you keep your rifle's steel parts from rusting after cleaning. However, if, after you cleanit and oil up the bore or whatever (I use Birchwood-Casey Sheath instead of oil), you can run a patch thru the bore in a couple of weeks, and see no red or brownish rust marks on the patch, a hot water cleaning is not needed. However, I gave up use of ANY commercial solvents for BP rifles years age, and have used nothing but boiling water since that time, and have NEVER had any rust in my bore!

Triple 7 and Rebel Hog are right! Have the rod, patches, etc., etc., right there to grab before pouring any water! I wrap a towel around my barrel to use as a handle when pouring boiling water so I don't cook myself, and to hold it with while using the rod & patches. THEN POUR

two quarts of boiling water from you teakettlethrough the bore followed by four or five clean dry patches immediatedly afterward to dry out all water. After the barrel cools, swab it with a patch soaked in SHEATH - no rust ever! Bore clean-wipe off all other ferrous parts with the SHEATH patch. Mmmmm!! Gun now clean, Bowhuntin' fool!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Alright, I cleaned the Flinter with boiling hot water with a bit of Dawn in it! First I scubbed the bore with Butches Bore shine and poured at least 2 quarts of boiling water thru! I couldn't believe the junk that came pouring out of it! I poured the hot water thru until nothing but clean water came thru! I then poured Boiling clean hot water thru until it was gone to heat up the barrel so the water would evaporate!
I then ran about 10 dry patches thru the bore until they came out dry and clean! After that I used Bore Butter to lube the inside of the Barrel! The first patch or 2 came out with very little brown on it. I ran another and it came out clean, nothing but yellow from the Butter.

Is this good enough to prevent rust in the bore??? Should I just run a Lubed patch thru and let it sit?? Or should I run a patch thru with gun oil instead of the Butter??

Sorry for all the question but I want to get it right, Thanks for all the Help!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:51 PM
Dominant Buck

There are as many opinions on the quality of bore butter and the protection it affords your rifle as there are black powder shooters. For years people have been protecting their rifles with bore butter. The trick is you have to be absolutly certain that there was no moisture trapped in that barrel.

I stopped using bore butter a long time ago and after I have my barrel spotless, I use Birchwood Casey Sheath. Sheath was suggested as a great barrel oil by Triple Se7en. He was right on the money with that one. I have gotten to where I really depend on it to protect my rifles.

Good luck with your bore butter. If you ever need to remove it, again with the boiling water and flushing the rifle bore...

Quick Reply: Hot Water...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.