Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hot Water...

Old 10-08-2006, 08:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Hot Water...

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: BowHuntingFool

I was wondering if I SHOULD clean my Lyman GPR in hot water every once in a while??? I do a regular cleaning after my shooting but not sure if I need to do the hot water thing? Thanks!
You didn't say what your present cleaning regime consists of, or how you keep your rifle's steel parts from rusting after cleaning. However, if, after you cleanit and oil up the bore or whatever (I use Birchwood-Casey Sheath instead of oil), you can run a patch thru the bore in a couple of weeks, and see no red or brownish rust marks on the patch, a hot water cleaning is not needed. However, I gave up use of ANY commercial solvents for BP rifles years age, and have used nothing but boiling water since that time, and have NEVER had any rust in my bore!

Triple 7 and Rebel Hog are right! Have the rod, patches, etc., etc., right there to grab before pouring any water! I wrap a towel around my barrel to use as a handle when pouring boiling water so I don't cook myself, and to hold it with while using the rod & patches. THEN POUR

two quarts of boiling water from you teakettlethrough the bore followed by four or five clean dry patches immediatedly afterward to dry out all water. After the barrel cools, swab it with a patch soaked in SHEATH - no rust ever! Bore clean-wipe off all other ferrous parts with the SHEATH patch. Mmmmm!! Gun now clean, Bowhuntin' fool!
i agree with you all too.. only problem with HOT water is you will get FLASH RUST,i did..when i used warm water, no rust but maybe i was not getting all the old bore butter out,i dont know..only thing i do different is i dont wait for bore to cool as that is when i see rust,i swab it with sheath right away,then wait a little and do it again..