Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Trouble Finding Patch Lube >

Trouble Finding Patch Lube

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Trouble Finding Patch Lube

Old 09-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Trouble Finding Patch Lube

I am having a lot of trouble with patches. I want a lube that will not freeze, one where I can pre-lube pathces without the lube totally drying (some drying is ok). I have heard of Moose Milk and that is a possibility but I would wish I could buy it instead of make it. I got some patche from souther bloomer (.015 dry pillotick) but they are for 45-50cal but are as big as my 54-58cal pathces so they will work but the quality is poor!!! They are not cut very even but I will use the good ones. Please help me with lubes. Lehigh will not freeze but it dries quickly and I mean totally dry!!!

Thanks
Old 09-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Spike

Default RE: Trouble Finding Patch Lube

Cayugad really likes moose milk and I would surely listen to his advice. If I had more time to shoot I would make some up. If you dont want to make your own then get some hoppes black powder solvent and patch lube, I did about a month ago and I love the stuff as a cleaner and lube and it doesnt freeze. D.
Old 09-20-2006, 09:40 PM
Typical Buck

Another option is Ballistol. It can be mixxed with water to whatever consistency you desire and it does not dry out to completely dry. If not a lot of water is mixed in I don't think it will freeze either.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bridgers Best are prelubed with an oil similar to Ballistol.

http://thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com/patches.htm#bb
Old 09-21-2006, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doese Ballistol have petrolliem? I saw some Moose Milk at Log Cabin shop. Would it be like the stuff cayugad makes? If Hoppes doese not freeze then why doese it say not to store under 32 degrees? I have heard a lot of good stuff about Ballistol.
Old 09-21-2006, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Liquid Lube - Moose Milk[/b]
[/b]
[/b]
8 ounces of isopropyl alcohol
3 ounces of Castor Oil or NAPA Auto Parts#765-1526 Soluble Cutting and Grinding Oil
4 ounces of Witch Hazel
16 ounces of tap water
1 ounce of Murphy’s Oil Soap

these items are so inexpensive and easy to store and keep. I take a large plastic bottle either from juice or soda, mix those ingredents in the order listed and amounts, then shake it all up and it will turn a nice white in color.You now have a couple year supply of mix. And that's if you shoot a lot.

I then pour the mix into a bottle I can spray. A bug juice bottle works perfect (we get plenty empty ones of them in Wisconsin) and then you can just carry that small bottle and spritz the patch or if you like, soak the patch and dry them on a screen. They work fine for me in all weather conditions. In winter I shoot them dried with a light spritz to ease loading. In summer I often times just spritz them damp and shoot them that way.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ballistol works as a emulsifier - so it's water soluble. You can get it at the link I provided for the Bridgers Best patches. I preferthe oil, not the all-purpose Sportsmen's lube.Order by phone, so the ownere sends you the correct one. I believe thesizes listed there that say 'liquid" are the oil. I think thesizes listed as aerosol are the all-purpose.

http://www.thunder-ridge-muzzleloading.com

The recipe that Cayugad provided ismost likelyMoose Snot. I think thefounder of that recipe (Stumpkiller)sells small bottles of the stuff. Look for his screen name at muzzleloadingforum.com -- then send him a private email/private message.
Old 09-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Typical Buck

why not beeswax and lard (no salt)and olive oil?
will never freeze
I use a 60/40 mix and a table of olive oil I use it on conicals,patch lube and BPCR loads
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you tried peanut oil or oliveoil by themselves?

I won't thou! I hate messy, greasy hands when handling my muzzleloaders.