Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

tc black diamond

Old 04-28-2006, 07:57 PM

Default tc black diamond

what do y'all think of this rifle? saw one at a gun store here in houston today. they had a blued/syn 189.00 and a stainless/syn for 209.00 is this about right or to high? thanks for the help.
Old 04-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: tc black diamond

[hr]
That's the normal price except when you find them on special at some stores like Wal Mart in the off season. Some people got them for around $100.00 then.

The Black Diamond has the 22" barrel while the XR has the 26" barrel. Both are great rifles. Whether I would spend 209.00 for a simple Black Diamond I am not sure. For a little more, there are easier to maintain rifles out there. They were getting some Omega's for $269.00 which is a break open design. Although your rifle selection should match the hunting regulations of where you hunt and live.

I just got a White Ultra Mag for $300.00 which is proving to be a real sweet rifle, and it is all stainless steel. Also another thing to think of...

Good luck in your decision. The Black Diamond is a great shooter, but a devil to clean, and like to fowl badly..
Old 04-28-2006, 10:10 PM

ok thanks not to sure of what the going price of them .we don't have to many options for inlines here got a bass pro shop and 3 gander mountains but their stuff is seasonal.guess i'll just keep using my pursuit pro. what do you y'all think of the cabelas hawken rifle in .50 cal?thanks for the help, Joe
Old 04-29-2006, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is the approximate price on the Cabelas Hawkens?

The inlines usually have their best sales in July & August -- plenty of time to get her zoned-in before hunting season.
Old 04-29-2006, 02:50 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: pineywoods

ok thanks not to sure of what the going price of them .we don't have to many options for inlines here got a bass pro shop and 3 gander mountains but their stuff is seasonal.guess i'll just keep using my pursuit pro. what do you y'all think of the cabelas hawken rifle in .50 cal?thanks for the help, Joe
The Cabela's Hawkins is made by Investarm Inc. The same people that make Lyman Rifles. They are a quality made rifle. The Hawkins model has a 1-48 twist for shooting roundball and conical. They make a nice shooting rifle. I personally would go for the .54 caliber in a traditional rifle just because of the caliber differences, but to each their own.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:52 PM

one more question can i shoot american pioneer powderin the hawkens i love the stuff in my inline. easy to clean and all that. would i use the 3f like i do in my other gun? i know some people seem not to like it(omg i've seen the posts LOL} thanks again
Old 04-29-2006, 05:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes as long as it is a cap lock, you could shoot the APP powder. The 3f would be my choice of powder were I to use it. After all, the 2f looks like fish tank gravel...
Old 05-01-2006, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here's mine I got it for $100.00 from a friend who bought an Omega he only put 4 rounds through it. I have almost got it broke in. Look around this time of year there are all kind of deals around.For some reason people think they shuld only have one muzzle loader. thats OK when they want to upgrade I'll take there down grade. Goood Luck with it

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j309/punkey5/46149431.jpg Mike
Old 05-01-2006, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

For some reason people think they shuld only have one muzzle loader.
I have felt the same way many times myself... of course I never pay attention to myself thank goodness. Mike is right though. There are some good deals around. Although has anyone else noticed, some of the people selling on gun auction sights really do not know the going market rate for their model rifle. They think they should get what they paid for it and then some. That's all fine, but it's not going to sell your rifle too fast. And the trouble is I can buy it new in the store for less then they want.

I was talking to a fellow this weekend that came across a Knight Wolverine 209 with the 26" barrel and I forget what model scope mounted on it(I think he said a Tasco) with quick release mounts to boot. He was looking around an area pawn shop and there it was hanging on the wall. He got the whole thing for $150.00. I told him I thought he got a good deal. He called me wanting to know what to shoot out of it so I gave him a few load suggestions. So check them pawn shops. People had to get cash to pay taxes you know...