Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight LHR

Old 04-29-2006, 04:43 PM

Default Knight LHR

Has anyone heard anything about the Knight LHR? I was wondering how it would compare to an Omega. I live in Iowa and i am looking to get a muzzleloader for deer hunting. Also is the 52. cal that Knight makes actually better than a 50 cal as far as distance and energy?

Thanks
Scott
Old 04-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Knight LHR

ORIGINAL: SCOTT78

Has anyone heard anything about the Knight LHR? I was wondering how it would compare to an Omega. I live in Iowa and i am looking to get a muzzleloader for deer hunting. Also is the 52. cal that Knight makes actually better than a 50 cal as far as distance and energy?

Thanks
Scott
The Knight Long Range Hunter, while I am sure is a great shooting rifle, would be no more accurate then the Knight Disc Extreme or Disc Elite, although I have never shot a LRH. I know they are guaranteed accurate out of the box. They all use Green Mountain Barrels which are top quality. I guess a lot depends on how much you want to spend and what kind of overall appearance you want from the rifle.

As to how it would compare to a Omega, again.. the Thompson Center Omega would be a hard rifle to beat as far as long range accuracy. I have seen some of the posts they have on the Omega and they are very impressive. Also the T/C Encore is a great rifle to shoot.

The advantage of the .52 caliber over the .50 caliber would not be all that great. You have a better selection in bullets with the .50 caliber, easier to find, easier sabots, and for the little advantage you might gain by the sightly larger caliber, itwould be hard to notice since they shoot basically the same projectiles. I personally feel the .52 caliber is a gimmick. There is nothing the .52 caliber can do that the .50 caliber can not do as well. I can also see the day when the .52 caliber will be a thing of the past IMO. There just is not the demand for it.

Knight is a great rifle. So is Thompson Center. It would be hard to pick what I like better. The LRH is a bolt system which will make it more time consuming to clean then the Omega which is a break open design.
Old 04-29-2006, 08:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

SCOTT78

Scott all I can say is "ditto" - I think cayugad covered that really well and very diplomatically.....
Old 04-30-2006, 07:11 PM

I have to agree with cayugad! He pretty much
told it like it is!!
Danny
Old 05-01-2006, 05:33 AM

One more thing, don't expect to see the .52 go away anytime soon as it's Tony Knight's favorite caliber. http://www.chuckhawks.com/tony_knight.htmI was told the load he shoots and all I can say is he's a better man than I am. 180 gr of 777 pellets and a 375 gr bullet. Ouch! Course Randy didn't put that or how TK feels about smokeless in the article.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Dominant Buck

I wonder if Tony Knight follows the manufacturer's recommended load limits... WOW ! that is a strong load. Not something I would want to shoot, that's for sure..
Old 05-01-2006, 09:59 AM

I don't know. I do know that Knight allows 150 gr of loose 777 in the .52's. Since pellets produce less peak pressure than loose powder does I'd guess 180 would be ok. The .52 was his brainchild so I guess he knows what he's doing. Not something I would try that's for sure.
Old 05-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's my understanding that Tony Knight is no longer affiliated with Knight rifles (the company) in any way.
Old 05-01-2006, 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

It's my understanding that Tony Knight is no longer affiliated with Knight rifles (the company) in any way.
It's my understanding that he's retired. Regardless, he'll always be affiliated with Knight rifles just because he founded it originally.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's more interesting than that Patrick.

Quick Reply: Knight LHR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.