Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 White mountain carbine >

White mountain carbine

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

White mountain carbine

Old 12-13-2005, 03:46 PM

Default White mountain carbine

I just got aWhite mountain carbine by T/C from my brother in law. Supposedly they are a great ML? Any suggestions for load? He gave me 320 g maxi balls with it and about 5 shots pre-measured to take in the field. I put the gun on a tree @ 60 yds and it hit dead on! I like how easy it is to tote around.
Old 12-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: White mountain carbine

Are those the rifle that had the 1-38 twist? If it is the one I am thinking of, they should be an excellent conical shooter. No wonder it nailed that tree dead center at 60 yards. Good luck with your rifle.. It sounds like you have a good one there. Also welcome to the forum.. Good to have you.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:13 PM
Spike

The White Mountain carbine was my first muzzleloading gun purchased. It is a great little bush gun especially on deer drives. It has the 1-38 twist made to shoot conicals the best. My gun does not like any load over 90 grains of blackpowder or pyrodex shooting 320-385 conicals. Shooting Triple 7 had to cut load back to 80 grains to keep same tight groups at 100 yards. It is also a good round ball shooter with 70-80 grains of powder out to 75 yards. Due to its short light weight its also a great little starter gun for the younger hunter to learn on. Hope you have lots of fun with yours. Geo
Old 12-13-2005, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

This was also my first muzzleloader. Ihad good luck with350 grain T/C maxi huntersand 90 grains of pyrodex. Took a lot of deer with that gun. This off season I plan shoot it with some of the Shockey's Gold and some 777 and try to find a load for it. I like my Omega but it is always nice to have a backup!
Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 AM

The T.C. book that came with mine said 1 in 28 twist,mine works best with 90 TO 100 GRS. of powder with 451. 45 cal. pistol bullets Speer or Hornady xtp200 to 230 gr. hollowpoints in a black mmp sabot, I have shot bigger bullets like the 300 gr plated soft point 451. 45cal bulletwith the mmp long petal black sabot and got very good grouping. I took a bunch of deer with it and a few hogs. I shot a big boar over #300 one morning with one of the 300gr. sabot rounds and 100 grs. of 777 powder at about 30 yards. I was leaning on a old rotten whiteoak stump and he walked right by me. He fell stone dead in his tracks, the bullet hit him right behind the neck in his backbone,and went all the way through. Just about all the deer had passthrough shots unless the bullet hit backbone or a double shoulder shot. I had mine drilled and taped for scope mounts and had a scope on it but took it off. It just looks better without one.

Old 12-14-2005, 11:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I think that's why I like the looks of the Renegade too. They are plain, no frills, but with nice clean lines to them. This new stainless steel 1-28 Green Mountain Barrel has sure made shooting sabots fun. If I'd of bought this before all my inlines, there might not be as many of them in the rack. Although I do enjoy shooting all of them.