Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

GAME BAGS ELK

Old 09-15-2004, 08:43 PM

Default GAME BAGS ELK

Iwill be hunting elk for my first time in colorado this oct
the group i am going with all have their own variations on game bags
i was wondering what is the best type of bag to use what size ??
being from IL. we dont ever use game bags
I looked at some at a retail hunting store but the seemed very thin and
$20.00 for 4 I think I need 5

thank you in advance for any suggestions
i dont want to waste any game
is the area near craig as good as these guys say????? unit #4 ?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: GAME BAGS ELK

Hey ILL Hunter, good luck out there this fall. I've hunted a few "Do it yourself" hunts in CO and first bought a package of those thin bags but never did use them. I went to Target and bought those cheap king size pillow cases. They breath well, are fairly durable, and a king size ones will hold an elk quarter with just a little of the leg bone showing. I liked them because they are cheap and when I'm done with them I just wash them and they are ready for next year. I also found a few larger laundry type bags that are a little thicker but mostly use those pillow cases. I've heard that muslim fabric works well and I would imagine if you have someone who sews you could buy the material and have them make some bags for you.
Old 09-15-2004, 09:09 PM

WHAT IS MUSLIM FABRIC
WHAT SIZE SHOULD I MAKE THE BAGS SORRY I MEAN THE BOSS MAKE
THE BAGS
I WAS THINKING ABOUT USING KING PILOW CASES BUT ONE GUY SAID THEY WERE TOO SMALL ???
IS THIS THE MOST COST EFFFECTIVE WAY TO GO ??
Old 09-15-2004, 10:26 PM

ILL Hunter,

I use the Alaskan Game bags, if you go for "game bags" then avoid the "gauze" ones, the Alaskan game bags besides being large have polyester/nylon in them besides cotton so they are strong (ours have a rectangular pattern to the weave and yes they are light and thin, IMHO that is a good thing. Five would be a good number (which of course means you have to buy an extra set). If you've never used them before don't let it throw you, they are just long sections of tube cut in lengths --- tie a good but efficient and tight overhand knot in one end and load from the other. Usually some of the leg (around the knee) sticks out --- just right --- cinch the bag around the leg, tie some nylon cordage around this exposed part of the leg and hang it in the shade of a stand of trees --- we use about a 3' piece --- wrestling them upwards AND getting something tied is NO place for a short "string".

When you pull into Craig, CO (I assume to get stuff before heading out) don't let it throw you --- deserty, except for the Yampa river, farm ground and sage brush --- lots of sage brush, few trees --- not much fun if you are thinking of a high country elk hunt, be patient --- it is there you just have to drive your way up to it.

EKM
Old 09-15-2004, 10:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just went to the Alaska Game bag website - http://www.alaskagamebags.com/index.htm - and you can order single bags or tubes, or packs of 4. I have used them in the past, and they are better than anything out there IMO!
Old 09-15-2004, 10:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the "transport bags" from alaska game bags.
Positive side- Heavy duty, muti uses out of on bag, easy to clean, boned out meat packs well in these bags. I have never compared the mesh style bags to these?
Negitive side- They are heavy. I have a secret spot I leave mine while I am hunting.
Old 09-16-2004, 12:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use www.crosscreektrading.com reusable game bags. (1-800-488-5075). Good luck.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:12 PM
Typical Buck

Elkkampmaster & C Brown,

Thanx for the info on the Alaska bags as those look like a great option. I'll have to pick up some for my next elk trip...
Old 10-01-2004, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Ill Hunter, let me second what ElkKampMaster said. I killed a bull on a backpack hunt 7 miles in in '04, and I had the cheap "gauze"-type bags. What a mess! The bull came to me direct from a wallow and thrashed around and died in a patch of bare dirt, which turned to mud from his "body armor". I had to trim so much meat in the butchering process that I lost about 30 pounds of meat.

I used the Alaskan bags this year on a cow, and lost zero meat. The bags can be used like a dropcloth on the ground next to the elk as you are quartering it so the meat never touches terra firma. The big models I've got will hold two quarters each comfortably.
Old 10-02-2004, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

Just got back from Co. about 2 weeks ago I saw our outfitter pack out 5 bulls with the alaskan game bags.They are awsome,constructed well and alow your meat to breath and cool.I beleive you can get a 4 pack for about $10.00,money well spent.