Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Elk: neck shot?

Old 03-01-2004, 11:49 PM

Default RE: Elk: neck shot?

neck shot on ELK! The question is totally out of question, im 17 been hunting scince i was 12 you may call me a youngin to the art of hunting but ive learned quite a few ethics from my dad. one of the number one things he taught me was shot placement, he said aim for the imaginary red dot BEHIND THE SHOULDER and visualize the arrow landing in the sweet spot, this method has never failed him nor I. When i took bowhunters ed they also emphasized shot placement and i do remember Mr. Merlin saying theres nothing worse than someone who thinks they can kill a big game animal with an arrow to the neck, its to risky of a shot and its NOT WORTH IT. I would not even dare think about it, i agree with robinhood, elkcrazy, txhunter, everyone who said no to a neck shot, an elk is to AMAZING of an animal to even take chances on. and i would advise you to stay clear of neck shots for archery, its not worth it, have Respect for the animal you are hunting.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:08 AM
Fork Horn

Ok Archer/Elk Crazy & Robin Hood,
Read the topic. WE spoke about Elk loads, hence a rifle NOT a bow.
I do not promote shooting anything in the neck. How I shoot is just that "How I
shoot" You may take running shots or long distance shots and thats how you shoot
It was a legitimate question about those that have taken Elk in the neck with ELK
LOADS.
I "mentioned" how I got started shooting neck shots and have been 100%
sucessful with the results. Again that is my results & my shooting.
I do not come on a board to offend other hunters..don't think anyone else should
either. I come here to share and learn.
Archer 18- You my friend have a long way to go..You have no idea what kind of
person I am nor the amount of game I have harvested. I have let more "trophy's" pass by me then you could count. Respect..thats a lot of word coming from a 18 year old.
You know whats funny about this whole thing >> I would give up my whole hunt..every day that I paid THOUSANDS for to help any one of you guys track, drag or quarter your trophy! Just a stranger helping a fellow sportsman.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Spike

Outdoor, you knew when you started this thread you were going to have to deal with this, and here you are, the first one that seems to be offended. For me, I've shot whitetail in about every spot imaginable. But as I get older in the tooth, 42, I try as many do to cut down on the chance of wounding that animal. I almost always, noticed I said almost always shoot deer in the lungs. Bullet passes through the ribs and I have no waste. I shot a small deer in the neck one day bow hunting while aiming for the ribs of her mother. It dropped like a rock when mom juked the shot. We as sportsman owe it to the animal to be as humane as possible. I know it doesn't always work out, but when I get up in the morning, it is my intent. One other thing, it doesn't really matter to me how many trophies you let pass or how much you spend on your hunts. Those types of things will never define your ethics. I know for myself I kill less animals now than I ever did because I spend most of my time trying to help younger hunters get started, but that ain't got nothing to do with my shot placements. Keep up the good work, everyone enjoys a good argument!
Old 03-02-2004, 03:28 PM
Typical Buck

Just wanted to pat hale87 on the back. Good ethics
Old 03-02-2004, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Outdoor, You admitted that you took a neck shot with the bow and seized the opportunity. So i don't beleive that this thread is limited to taking neck shots with elk loads. In my post I stated that I hunt with a bow and won't take neck shots. If I ever decided to hunt elk with a rifle(which is highly unlikely) I still wouldn't take a neck shot. In my opinion that would be too risky. Alot is going through the average hunters mind at the moment of truth. Even with a rifle, most that have never seen an animal of such magnitude would be stricken by the overwhelming urge to get a bullet in him. I would much rather have a shot made with a .243, which is not considered and elk load, through the lungs than to have a gaping hole in the side of the bulls neck made with a .300 mag.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Hale87 ...
You know when something gets twisted around as the thred moves a long and it goes from who has shot an Elk in the neck with a Elk load to the following:

Outdoor, I really hate to disrupt your party here, but I do not like you advertising other young hunters on this forum that neck shots are O.k. The neck is mainly all bone and muscle and in my opinion one of the worst shots to take with a bow.
OR
An elk should never be shot in the neck with a bow.
OR
i would advise you to stay clear of neck shots for archery, its not worth it, have Respect for the animal you are hunting.

I never said any of the above so would this fall under ethics? Or doesn't this count?
Old 03-02-2004, 07:09 PM

Quote from Outdoor

I am sure this will stir things up >>

'Nuff said...
Old 03-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Spike

Outdoor, I'm not sure where you're going with that, or what your question is? I think most of us know what is best when we're in the field, but when the moment arises, and I mean that trophy of a lifetime finally shows up. That's when things are defined. You're right about those other shots such as long distance and running shots. But that's why I said when I get up in the morning I know my intent. Trust me, I already said I'm guilty as charged. You know I killed my first bear with a neck shot. We never had bear in this county for many years, and we hunted them for many years with out ever getting a sniff. Well,,,,,, when I finally found one. It was a situation where he knew I was there and I felt he was going to bolt at any second. His head and neck was the only thing I could see, so that's where he got shot. Probably about 50 yards offhand. I would have much rather had him step out, but I wasn't willing to give him that chance. You and I both know a lot of people on here talk sh** all day long. So whatever,,,, get over it. I probably wouldn't have posted until you tried to qualify your skills by talking about watching trophies walk and spending thousands on hunts. For the most part this board seems to be comprised of quite a few seasoned hunters that could care less about such claims. Money has nothing to do with ethics.
Old 03-02-2004, 09:40 PM

Outdoor, I guess my beef is that I simply have a problem when it comes to shooting elk in the neck, if thats what you want to do then more power to you. You stated that you have learned to be a neck shooter for 20 plus years, then it seems you are promoting neck shots. I don't have a problem with deer w/ rifle, but with a bow and neck shots its a whole different ball park...

An elk, they are tough as nails, I don't recommend a neck shot and when it comes to bow and arrow, my rule is-- Don't even think about it!!! Why? you might ask... Hmmmm lets see, have you ever skinned a elk and actually looked up close and felt the neck of an elk? Well try to visualize a broadhead going through all that elk hide, muscle and bone!! A broad head is designed to kill by cutting and I guarantee you are'nt going to get much cutting in the neck...Be a tru ethical hunter, wait for your shot, and put that arrow behind the shoulder in the boiler room, and listen to this rule--Double lung a bull hung...
Old 03-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Fork Horn

Nice chating with you.

Quick Reply: Elk: neck shot?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.