Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Sitka Blacktail Deer?

Old 05-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Sitka Blacktail Deer?

Has anyone hunted Sitka Blacktails? Any experiences you would like to share?

They are on my bucket list. I know Kodiak is a popular destination, but the thought of large Brown Bears is a little unnerving. I was looking at Prince of Wales. They seem to have a healthy population and no brownies there (just blacks and wolves). Plus it's much closer to get there. Ketchikan is a 2 hour flight from Seattle.

I have seen some hunts conducted from ships. They anchore in coves at night and you can fish, catch shrimp, and pull crab pots at various times when not hunting. Would like to bring my wife, but the ship would need to be comfortable . I believe you can also get multiple bucks tags.

Thanks for any info . . . Rob
Old 05-23-2017, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

No personal experience but also high on my to do list!

From what I gather about hunting them on kodiak, if you go later in the year, you can take more bucks... and less chance of a bear encounter.

outfitted unguided seems like the typical non-resident route...

I would probably want enough gun if big browns are a concern.

Personally I think I want to go to Kodiak on a good deer year.

self guided, seems like a fun, cheaper alaskan adventure!
Old 05-24-2017, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I know a guy named Steve out of Craig, AK that used to do blacktail hunts. Mostly he guides salmon fishermen now but he may still do the hunts. He runs an outfit called Silver Seas Adventures so you can look him up. Even if he doesn't do the hunts anymore he was been there for a long, long time and could probably suggest a reputable outfit.

I'd like to do a Sitka hunt sometime but if I ever do it I'll go unguided. Deer, moose and black bear are the only big game in AK you can hunt without a guide.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:53 PM
Super Moderator

It's high on my list. No good info to provide though.
-Jake
Old 08-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Spike

We went out of Whittier in PWS last year in the fall for combo black bear and deer. Live on the boat and zodiac in to hunt. Also caught halibut to 90 pounds. Pretty sweet way to go. We've booked a similar spring hunt in Homer area next year. Salmon will be on the agenda that time of year.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

AZ, who did you go with? PM if you prefer.
Old 09-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Spike

His name was David Pinquoch and calls it Good Times Charters. Not a guide but a transporter. Price was fair and boat comfortable. Success weather driven.