Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
MY my, Dr Palmer killed his lion legally >

MY my, Dr Palmer killed his lion legally

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

MY my, Dr Palmer killed his lion legally

Old 10-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

I'm glad the dentist covered all his bases and is being vindicated for his part in this fiasco.

This thing doesn't seem to have played out completely yet. It will be interesting to see how the PH and ranch owner come out on all this when all is said and done. They still may or may not be guilty as charged, I know I certainly have no idea one way or the other.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

I will tell you one thing, I would not want to be the PH or the land owner being in the so called justice system in Zimbabwe. The government right now is trying to look good in the eyes of the world to save their tourist industry and it wouldn't be out of the question to railroad those two. The accusation that they intentionally baited the cat out of the refuge by dragging bait around the boundary has been shown to be BS as they were using a dead elephant where it fell as bait. This whole thing was ginned up by a bunch of antis and helped along by a willing media that doesn't care about the truth, just a story that will make waves. The media fanned the flames into a wildfire and caused a man to have his life threatened, hire a body guard and stay away from his dental practice and yet I haven't see or heard an apology.
Old 10-25-2015, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

All i can say is wow! I wondered about the dentists innocence from the start of this anti hunting hype story, where's the media's apologies?
Old 10-25-2015, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default See it a little differently

First I'm a hunter who doesn't hunt $50,000 animals due to the charge, or would not hunt in Zimbabwe due to the politics of that county.
Second the lion herd in Africa isn't as free roaming as it use to be. They would not cost as much to hunt if the supply was endless. And a lion with a name must mean that there is some limit to game hunting. Hunters are now used to cull herds for big money.
Hunting is highly regulated and hunters are used as fees to support the cost for park protection of wild animals. Africans aren't very favorably inclined to lions roaming the neighborhoods.
Unfortunately for the hunter, it cost a lot more money than the fee.
And anti-hunters are but a small part of the problem.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine
First I'm a hunter who doesn't hunt $50,000 animals due to the charge, or would not hunt in Zimbabwe due to the politics of that county.

Well, I have hunted Africa and I did hunt Zim but I did it before it got crazy. Safaris have always been expensive but I do agree about the politics of Zim.

Second the lion herd in Africa isn't as free roaming as it use to be. They would not cost as much to hunt if the supply was endless.

There is no such thing as "lion herds". Lions have always existed in small prides and they have always been the apex predators. As such the numbers have always been smaller than the prey animals. This is simple biology. Additionally there is no game species on earth that has an endless supply. You know this right?

And a lion with a name must mean that there is some limit to game hunting.

Isn't it the same thing here? People name individual deer and elk. Ever hear about an elk named Samson in CO? You do know the hunting of all game has limits don't you?

Hunters are now used to cull herds for big money.

Nope. This comment shows you have no idea what a safari is like. Any culling of herds, especially of dangerous game is done by professionals.

Hunting is highly regulated and hunters are used as fees to support the cost for park protection of wild animals.

This is one of the few statements you've gotten right. Just like in the USA the $$$ generated by hunting supports all the animals and the habitat.

Africans aren't very favorably inclined to lions roaming the neighborhoods.

Nor are Americans favorably inclined to having cougars, bear, wolves etc... roaming in their neighborhoods. What is your point?

Only due to an idiotic media and the sheep that follow them.

Other hunters are also part of the problem. This hunt was legal and there were members of this very forum that immediately jumped to condemn it. They should have rallied around this hunter and defended him. That's, in my opinion, the major problem because if hunters let things like this divide them then we will end up losing the right to hunt!
It never ceases to amaze me how people with no experience in African hunting can make any statements or judgements about it.
Old 10-25-2015, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

I was never in WWII. Wasn't even alive at the time. But I've made many statements and judgments about it. A proper education in a matter is all that is needed.
Old 10-26-2015, 04:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by moosemike
I was never in WWII. Wasn't even alive at the time. But I've made many statements and judgments about it. A proper education in a matter is all that is needed.
Yes but many of the comments about this cat are not made from a standpoint of proper education. They are made out of ignorance.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I will not be hunting Zim until Mad Bob is gone and his followers are out of power. Power changes everything and sometimes the wrong people have it.

With most of Botswana out of play except for plains game on private property that takes two of the most popular big game areas away from most hunters that want to hunt free ranging game. Thank goodness for Namibia.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 11-26-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 03:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I will not be hunting Zim again until Mad Bob is gone and his followers are out of power. Power changes everything and sometimes the wrong people have it.

With most of Botswana out of play except for plains game on private property that takes two of the most popular big game areas away from most hunters that want to hunt free ranging game. Thank goodness for Namibia.
Check out Cameroon if you want to hunt Africa again. You can do a savanna hunt there for about what Namibia costs and there is a whole different flavor to safaris there because they are based on French traditions not to mention different species. If I ever make Africa again, which is unlikely, I'll be headed to the northwest part.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
Second the lion herd in Africa isn't as free roaming as it use to be. They would not cost as much to hunt if the supply was endless. And a lion with a name must mean that there is some limit to game hunting. Hunters are now used to cull herds for big money.
Hunting is highly regulated and hunters are used as fees to support the cost for park protection of wild animals. Africans aren't very favorably inclined to lions roaming the neighborhoods.
Hey valentine, with this disgraceful cecil the lion, anti hunting story breaking the headlines worldwide this late summer, i find it hard to worry about the cost some rich guy pays to hunt in Africa?! Or worry about Zimbabwe's politics?! As a fellow hunter, i am however disgusted with the anti media hype around hunters and hunting! The anti hunters have completely hyped, slandered and lied about this cecil the lion story, it's pretty obvious that they are a HUGE problem, this media hype frenzy proves that beyond a doubt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.