Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
Boycott Colorado Hunting!!! >

Boycott Colorado Hunting!!!

Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.
 Nosler

Boycott Colorado Hunting!!!

Old 03-27-2013, 09:21 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by iamyourhuckleberry
4) Zero NRA members committed murder last year.
I think thats the most damning, we dont have an NRA but if we did I'm pretty positive it'd be similar stats.

Sako, I've been to Oz. If given the choice, I would still take the good old USA over anywhere else in the world. There something about being caged (although purportedly secure) that rubs me the wrong way. If you need a host for your trip here, I'll be your huckleberry
I wasnt trying to say mines better I just find the differences between countries very interesting regarding firearms in law and culture. In fact my bro and I were talking the other day about how we'd have a sidearm each if we could but I understand why we cant.

Did you hunt down here mate? if so what did you chase?

I've never heard the term huckleberry but I'm assuming its a good thing? ha thank you if so!
Old 03-27-2013, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SakoBavarian
Yeh I know what you mean there and I'm sure are still a few kicking around but after port arthur they had a nation wide gun amnesty and every semi auto was crushed. Under extreme circumstances a special license could be taken out for 5 shot semi auto shotguns but other than that they're all gone. It sucked for my old man because he had his brother who had died semi auto shotgun which had to be crushed because he didnt have a good enough reason to keep it. I'm still pissed about that.

Having said all of that, as of about a year ago I got into archery and there are no restrictions at all on bows (except crossbows) so its very easy to get around with one of them. Which is why I use that as much as my rifle now.

On what you said though in NSW over the past year there have been a lot of bikie gang shootings which caused a big uproar with the greeny wankers trying to take our guns away (they jump at any chance). But to the police's credit they stood up and said that over 95% of all firearms related offences are committed by unlicensed people with illegal firearms so there is no reason to restrict us legitimate users any further.
Thats what really bugs me with the 1 in million to wreck it sorta thing.
Sometimes you have to look at what results DON'T happen. From a brief internet search, it appears that Australia had a "slight" (fairly negligible) dip in the homicide rate after the 1997 gun ban and has had a relatively unchanged homicide rate since then.

Put in other terms, the Australian gun ban reduced the homicide rate a very little bit at first and has done nothing else to reduce the homicide rate since then. It's great that you're willing to give up certain classes of firearms to help prevent murders in Australia but the homicide rate (at least in a quick internet search) doesn't seem to have been affected very much by your giving up that firearms freedom.

I am not trying to criticize you but instead point out that the "talking point" from the anti-gun people in your country obviously isn't supported by statistics or evidence. IOW, their claim simply doesn't stand up to scrutiny.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Super Moderator

It's amazing, relying on facts and applying them is not a liberal strong point. For example:

1) 90% of murders are committed by prior convicted felons with criminal records extending four or more years.

2) Over 50 percent of this country's murders are committed by 12.5 percent of the population (Black Americans). Another 27 percent are committed by Hispanics.

3) Up to 70 percent of murders are gang related

4) Zero NRA members committed murder last year.

5) Our violent crime is intrinsically tied to our welfare population.

6) Less than 4 percent of murders were committed with a rifle-of any sort, any yet they want our rifles.

7) The United States has 88 guns per 100 people. Honduras has 6.6 and leads the World in murders per capita. Lower guns does not mean less murder.

8) Felons get guns by circumventing the law.

9) Guns in the hands of law abiding citizens stops crime, but they ignore this.

I can go on and on and on with facts...but boycotting Colorado is as much a knee jerk reaction as these laws themselves. I also find it amazing that bears in Colorado get two strikes for bad behavior and then, they are terminated. Felons...one...two....three...four, they look at crime as a viable livelihood, and our government continues to provide them with a foot hold (Evan Spencer Ebel as case and point). Their ravage on law abiding citizens seems to have no end!

Where are the deterrents? Why are the existing laws not being enforced?

Sako, I've been to Oz. If given the choice, I would still take the good old USA over anywhere else in the world. There something about being caged (although purportedly secure) that rubs me the wrong way. If you need a host for your trip here, I'll be your huckleberry.
I would add 1 huge fact that the antis are desperately trying to ignore. Pick any mass murder/shooting spree from the last 10 or 20 years and what seems to come up in every single incident? The suspect has some kind of mental health problem. And what laws have Obama, the Dems and antis proposed to constructively do anything about this real problem? None. Why is that, you might ask? Why indeed?

Fixing some of the mental health laws, access to adequate care and other associated problems would be the single biggest and most successful area to prevent further murder sprees. So why isn't it being done? Obviously public safety isn't the priority. So what else do these separate groups gain by gun control? Simple answer is power and people control.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cal hunter, I couldn't agree more with everything you said.

Sako, yeah mate, I was up near Gove and Darwin hunting Scrubbies, buff and boar-dodging snakes and crocs every now and then. I truly loved being in the bush-even with the blackfellas setting everything ablaze. I have an Aussie by the name of Jim Craze coming for a month and a half to bow hunt with me this year. I find it quite fun to share cultures and experiences. Jim will be the second aussie bloke i've hosted long term. The first is an enduring friend by the name of Grant Boyd. I've also spent a long weekend hunt with a fella by the name of Lachlan Cooke. Maybe you know these gents?
Old 03-28-2013, 05:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

BB makes some good points. The situation in Colorado isn't good. However, we need to be cautious and thoughtful in how we approach it.

I hear a lot of people talking of leaving or not moving to Colorado. Colorado's political landscape didn't change overnight, it started way back in the 70's with the influx of Californians and their way of thinking. I lived in La Plata and Archuleta counties at the time, and it was apparent to me even then - as a teenager, that Colorado was changing, and not for the better when I'd listen to my neighbors. So, when 2A supporters abandon or boycott the state, that's just making things easier for the next round of Denver-Boulder initiatives to make things even worse. An influx of 2A friendly residents to counter the Caliban on the front range is likely the only way you're going to re-shape the politics. Unfortunately, the ground lost may never be regained. Take note Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. Don't give the progressives an inch or you'll have the same fight on your hands as Colorado does.

The outfitters and 2A supporters there need your help now more than ever. They have a mountain of a fight ahead of them.

"The right of the people to hunt deer and elk shall not be infringed...." Obviously, that's not quite how the 2nd Amendment reads, is it? Those of you who live in Colorado and are "going along" with this legislation as "not having any impact on you" need to consider that you've just given your government a toe-hold to use every time there's a gun crime or suicide to further implement policies that make themselves feel good. Where do you think you're headed? Colorado politics, as seen by this session, certainly aren't becoming LESS progressive, are they?

The gun-grabbers across the country have glommed onto the image of a hunter who extolls the virtues of every manner of gun control initiative - from universal background checks and magazine limitations, to outright bans on some firearms. An artful way to divide the gun-owning community and restrict us piecemeal. It truly is an all-or-nothing game. When a three-gun competitor is forced out of their activity by your inaction or indifference to their cause, do you think they're going to come to your aid politically when Rhonda Fields comes for you?

For this to stop, Colorado needs to become a "battleground state" legislatively. Those of us in 2A-friendly states need to support our brothers and sisters in Colorado who are going to carry the fight, so that the fight doesn't wind up in our state capitols too.

The farmer with the "Obama-Biden" bumper sticker on his wife's car to whom I paid my goose lease to got a letter the day these laws were signed by the Governor that I was not renewing. Pulled the blind out of the ground on Sunday. I'm sure someone will snap that lease right back up, and good leases are competitive enough that my money may be better spent in South Dakota, even Nebraska. So, in reality, I've given up the last remaining tie to hunting I have in Colorado. I can't see hunting my old home ground as a nonresident when I have opportunity where I am now. I still own property there, where a fight ensues to recall Rep Mike McLachlan. If you live in his District, you need to get on board if for no other reason to give him cause not to listen to the overtures of the front range voters and "shoot through the door" Joe Biden. Senate President Morse is also going to be annoyed by a recall effort, as is Evie Hudak. I've written letters as a nonresident landowner (yes, I pay Colorado taxes) to Governor Hickenlooper and to Mike McLachlan. I recently sent a check to support those recall efforts. My gunsmith lives in Colorado. He's in the fight. He'll continue to recieve business from me. My landscaping materials supplier is a hunter, but he's neutral to the passage of the new laws. He may not receive further business from me.

For you gun-owning Coloradoans, and I can't say this strongly enough, YOU need to get organized and rally behind the fight. You magazine-ban, background-checking, "reasonable gun control" supporters aren't helping, regardless of whether or not YOU think they're needed or not. You're emboldening the progressive-leaning legislators and the passage of their gun-control agenda. Mark my words, you'll see even more restrictive legislation next session if you don't get off your tails. They're after the black rifle crowd now. In other parts of the country, they want the brown "sniper" rifles and ALL of your handguns, too.
Old 03-28-2013, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

<-------<<<- Again, wise words
Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 PM
Spike

Default What's next?

Like it or not, hunters and firearms owners are a minority within the overall population. Add that to a bipartisan political system which dictates the current flavor of legislative actions brings us to where we are today. As has already been mentioned, this is just another whack in the chipping away of our way life. We have already lost our spring bear hunt and use of leg-hold traps through the popular vote process. And now the current legislature is taking away the ability for us to purchase "high capacity magazines" and the ability for us to conduct our own sale of firearms to other individuals through a private transaction. Unfortunately, the majority of the general public (who does not hunt or own firearms) sees these measures as being "good" for society, and if these issues were to have come to a popular vote would have most likely had the same outcome. What's next? I think a restriction on lead bullets is slowly coming to a head (leading the way in California of course). A revival of the nation-wide "assualt weapon" ban is currently being shot down, but once the political winds switch to a different direction, it could easily raise it's ugly head. I do not forsee the registration of all firearms or the outright submission and destruction of firearms (thank God for the 2nd Amendment, which the lack thereof caused those things to happen in the UK and Australia), but once again who knows what lays ahead in the world of politics, and just like everything else, it only takes one *** to *** it up for rest of us (e.g., Columbine, Aurora, Sandy Hook...). The bottom line, in my opinion, is to stay active and keep getting your voice heard. The squeaky wheel gets the grease, so even though bipartisan politics may have the upper hand right now, eventually the tides will turn and hopefully we will see these vague and "knee-jerk" laws overturned.. or at least brought back to common sense.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:03 AM
Typical Buck

House Bill 13-1229 Universal Background Checks HB 1229 requires that a background check is performed before the transfer/sale of a gun from one individual to another. To facilitate the background checks, a separate bill (HB 1228) authorized the Colorado Bureau of Investigation to establish a fee for background checks and to create a system to provide those checks.
Hunting activities are exempt
HB 1229 specifically exempts hunting: "THE PROVISIONS OF THIS SECTION DO NOT APPLY… WHILE HUNTING, FISHING, TARGET SHOOTING, OR TRAPPING IF: (A) THE HUNTING, FISHING, TARGET SHOOTING, OR TRAPPING IS LEGAL IN ALL PLACES WHERE THE UNLICENSED TRANSFEREE POSSESSES THE FIREARM; AND (B) THE UNLICENSED TRANSFEREE HOLDS ANY LICENSE OR PERMIT THAT IS REQUIRED FOR SUCH HUNTING, FISHING, TARGET SHOOTING, OR TRAPPING
Temporary transfers exempt
HB 1229 exempts temporary transfers (for example, if you loan a gun to a friend for target practice) if the transfer is less than 72 hours. Note: This exemption is separate from the hunting exemption, meaning that the hunting exemption is good for the length of whatever period the transferee is hunting. For example, if you loan a neighbor a gun to go out for a nine day elk season, the hunting exemption would apply to that transfer and the 72 hours would not apply. However if you loan your friend a gun for something other than hunting or at a shooting range, the 72 hour exemption would apply.
Gun transfers to immediate family are exempt
The bill exempts gun transfers (gift or loan) to family members, specifically "SPOUSES, PARENTS, CHILDREN, SIBLINGS, GRANDPARENTS, GRANDCHILDREN, NIECES, NEPHEWS, FIRST COUSINS, AUNTS AND UNCLES"
Loaning someone a gun at a shooting range is exempt
HB 1229 exempts transfers at shooting ranges, specifically: "AT A SHOOTING RANGE LOCATED IN OR ON PREMISES OWNED OR OCCUPIED BY A DULY INCORPORATED ORGANIZATION ORGANIZED FOR CONSERVATION PURPOSES OR TO FOSTER PROFICIENCY IN FIREARMS"
Shooting competitions are exempt
HB 1229 exempts shooting competitions or trainings specifically: "AT A TARGET FIREARM SHOOTING COMPETITION UNDER THE AUSPICES OF, OR APPROVED BY, A STATE AGENCY OR A NONPROFIT ORGANIZATION"
Other Questions Colorado Parks and Wildlife is working with the Colorado Department of Public Safety and the Attorney General to receive additional technical guidance on the new statutes. The new statutes do not take effect until July 1 and implementation guidance will be available prior to that time.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:05 AM
Typical Buck

House Bill 13-1224 High-Capacity Magazines
"Grandfathering" of existing magazines
All magazines (regardless of capacity) purchased prior to July 1, 2013 are "grand-fathered in" and remain legal for possession and use. They may continue to be used for legal activities (hunting, target shooting, etc.) even after the laws take effect July 1. Existing regulations must still be followed, such as existing caliber, magazine and plugging requirements in Colorado hunting regulations.
Exemptions
HB 1224, contains the following exemptions:
"(b) LARGE-CAPACITY MAGAZINE" DOES NOT MEAN:
(I) A FEEDING DEVICE THAT HAS BEEN PERMANENTLY ALTERED SO THAT IT CANNOT ACCOMMODATE MORE THAN FIFTEEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION;
(II) AN ATTACHED TUBULAR DEVICE DESIGNED TO ACCEPT, AND CAPABLE OF OPERATING ONLY WITH, .22 CALIBER RIMFIRE AMMUNITION; OR
(III) A TUBULAR MAGAZINE THAT IS CONTAINED IN A LEVER-ACTION FIREARM."
Removable base plates
One section of HB 1224 that has drawn attention defines a high-capacity magazine as one that is "CAPABLE OF ACCEPTING, OR THAT IS DESIGNED TO BE READILY CONVERTED TO ACCEPT, MORE THAN FIFTEEN ROUNDS OF AMMUNITION. " As most removable base plates are designed for cleaning purposes - not for accepting additional rounds or for conversion - there is a presumption that they are legal.
Affirmative enforcement
The burden of proof regarding purchase date of a magazine will be on law enforcement, not on the person using the magazine. There is no affirmative enforcement required in these bills - meaning that we are not required to ask for gun or magazine ownership information unless we do so as part of some other inquiry, such as an investigation into another violation.
Other Questions This is not legal advice, but rather a summary of facts related to House Bill 1224 as we understand them at this time. Colorado Parks and Wildlife is working with the Colorado Department of Public Safety and the Attorney General to receive additional technical guidance on the new statutes. The new statutes do not take effect until July 1 and implementation guidance will be available prior to that time.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:07 AM
Typical Buck

Both these reports are straight from the Colorado Division of Parks and Wildlife. So pretty much facts in regards to hunting in Colorado and the new bills put in place. Happy hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.