Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Mt. Emily Guide OR

Old 11-29-2009, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Mt. Emily Guide OR

I found this on another website and thought I would let everyone know that they better make a few phone calls and talk with people before hiring a guide in the Mt. Emily unit. Sorry the author didn’t type this up all that great.

Talked to outfitter on phone says mt emily is undered rated other units over rated in area.I ask what is the chances of 350 bull outfitter says their are more than people think in mt emily.Next question is about food informs me breakfast is like bacon eggs pancakes ham ect. good breakfast in mornings, lunch
sandwich fruit chips wont be back to camp for lunch, super steak,porkchops chicken ect.Meet outfitter at sportmen show ask same questions same answers.That good iam a meat and potatoes man.Outfitters informs me he has outfitter tags for the unit i book the hunt.Months go by dont hear from outfitter finally i call in sept. talk to outfitter inform me he has some good guide this year and they been seeing a lot of 330 to 380 bulls in mt emily. I tell outfitters that i went on a road trip looked over area seen bulls no shooters. told outfitters iam 61 no packing for me. he said thats why i have mules and horses. meet outfitters at interstate 84 and mt emily turnoff.head up forest service road 31 going between 30 and 60 mph on dirt road turn of on 3128 road going so fast that water goes over top of truck get into camp he ask if wayone would like to go scout both of us say yes inform me that he only has room for one ask if i will use my own truck,come back to camp we have super one hamburger on the very small buns and some beans to drink water or coke. iam thinking wheres the cook no cook just outfitterget up in morning breakfast is some eggs rice onions in a plastic throwing in hot water told to eat it when were out hunting on lunch its a bag of chips and crackers and peanut butter of nine days never had a lunch meet my guide at end of road followed us to out hunting area outfitter and client leave on 4 wheeler onceagain i driving my truck get out of truck in my guides truck ask guide what up what you been seeing guide says that hes been scouting around his house to far to drive up here i say oufitter said you people been seeing lots of big bulls he informs me that he has ony talk to outfitter twice and only meet him today informes me doesnot even know were we are to go ITS OPENING MORNING. we head over the ridge it so brushy could not judge bull it like jump shooting ask guide what are we doing in here he says dont know lets get the hell out of here and go find out own elk this is a joke we leave area and looking for our self see some bulls no shooters get back to camp its dark outfitter get in to camp dinner one hamburger with cheese and corn. Get up same thing for breakfast as first day told eat it while hunting leave camp give it to the birds no lunch again leave with guide see 9 bulls all over 300. Man with outfitter shoots 290 bull first day has to pack out for 2 days. he asks if he can have 2 burgers outfitter pauses then said ok. Next morning breakfast same thing i ask if he has anthing else for breakfast o yes i have some oatmeal ok reaches in box takes 2 packages of instant oatmeal puts in bowl Man with outfitter leaves heads home.Its only me and outfitter and dog in camp my guide had to go back to work leave camp i go where my guide and i seen a good bull outfitter go to see if he can find bull cant meet back at camp. DOG has got into food we left on table outfitter get back see this and BEATS the 12 month pup that night we see nothing. dinner noodles with cheese sause and corn no milk its sour. Morning same thing oatmeal no lunch crackers and peanut butter find no bulls get back to camp the pup had chewed on cape that was about 2 ft off ground guess what pup get beat again dinner some noodles and meat in bag threw into water to heatup.next morning outfitters informs me he has to go to town for food i ask where is the ham eggs potatoes bacon for breakfast informs me he has none we go out hunting no elk go to town i have to get gas outfitter go to town gets back to camp at 730 that night i got back a 1 so went scouting by myself onceagain.In the morning once again he went scouting one way me another no luck no big bulls.Next day went after some bulls i didnot see then so dont know how big started to snow white out back to camp outfitter gets on computer for hours could of went low. dinner potatoes steak corn. first good dinner in seven days Next morning go behind this parents house no elk outfitter says would you mind if i went and feed my horse it not been feed for a couple of days feed horse break drinking water outfitter say would you mind if i plow my drive way no elk back at camp dog gets into food another beating go looking for elk outfitter find some bulls to look at in morning dinner one porkchop for me one for him potatoes tell outfitter lets get up early we have a long walk and i dont walk as fast as you same thing for breakfast leave get to hunting area have long walk we start walking after about 1/2 hour look up outfitter about 400 yard ahead call on radio ask to hold up keep going say when you find large arrow in snow find arrow call outfitter call outfitter says follow arrow go to ridge and go down ridge dark cant find ridge call outfitter says cant miss ridge just go doen into the basin then i say no outfitter say then you give up on me i say no Ido find ridge go down ridge outfitter says you have run down ridge the elk are 1000 to 1500 yards below you and going into the timber get down their find elk one broke 6 point it smells winds me bust doen ridge outfitter calls on radio says you realy screwed that up now what you going to do elk came up other side 6x6 was only about 305 to 310 had at 398 yards let him go because outfitter kept telling that i had to help pack and new it was not do able.” Dogsalmon
Nov-27-09, 09:37 PM (MST)
Old 11-29-2009, 05:02 PM
Banned

Ok, thats the hunters side of the story, there are two sides. i have read reviews from camps i was in as a guide a few years ago, and they completely misrepresented and disorted the camp to a point of completely lying. It is my personal expierence in the camps i have been in that the hunters are the problem almost all the time, not always, but mostly. There are certainly crooked outfitters, but there are more dishonest hunters then outfitters.
Old 11-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Fork Horn

It sounds like Bob Staples of Blue Mountain Adventures said the post was about his outfitting business and he will give his side of the story later tonight.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:49 AM
Spike

Looks like you never checked with any referances before you booked this hunt. Live and learn.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by trkytrack2
Looks like you never checked with any referances before you booked this hunt. Live and learn.
This was not my hunt. I just saw this posted on another hunting forum. I guess he is the only guide that can legally take people into the National Forest on a once in a lifetime hunt.