Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
What animal could that be? >

What animal could that be?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

What animal could that be?

Old 08-31-2009, 08:06 AM
Spike

Default What animal could that be?

Hi All,
I live in this area for 15 years (upstate NY). A lot of bears around but it is the first time that I see something like this. The whole "patio" (Pic A) was removed from the cement wall and dragged 10 feet away. It took 3 adults to move it back. A huge hole at least 3 feet deep and 4 feet wide was under there (door siding chewed/scratched). I tried to backtrack whatever that was and I found that there were a lot of other similar holes in the back of my property as well (picB) around 8-9 wholes going from tree root to tree root the size of 10 feet long and 1 foot deep. I tried to look for tracks to no avail, too much rain washed everything out.

John
Attached Thumbnails What animal could that be?-pica.jpg   What animal could that be?-picb.jpg  

Last edited by grkhunter; 08-31-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

"It took 3 adults to move it back."

That says bear to me........................

Stay alert !!!
Old 08-31-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

I hope that's like a really tiny mag light or I'd go right down to the gun shop and buy a 50 Bmg. That's one impressive bear track.

I have also seen bears move amazing things. And once pull a roof off a shed and stack it like a human to get to garbage.

Keep us updated and put up a buddy cam. lol
Old 08-31-2009, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

I think it's big foot that was visiting your house. If you have a trail cam I would set it out.
Old 08-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Cougar!! Naw it was most likely a bear looking to den up for winter under your house.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:23 PM
Spike

I am pretty sure that it was looking for something. I am familiar with the bear behavior in my area but it is the first time that I see a bear digging up so many huge holes. It is not the time to den up yet in my area. Could it be a marking/territorial thing? I already did setup trailcameras and I hope to see the size of this bear. And no this is not a tiny mag lite...it is the 12" version
Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 AM
Typical Buck

There's no way in hell that's a 12" mag light in that bear print. Got to be a hoax
Old 09-01-2009, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure about the patio deal, but the " track " w/the mag lite isn't bear.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dude you got a real squirrel problem.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:58 AM
Spike

I guess you guys didn't read the original post. PicB is not a bear track! it is a hole of 1 foot deep and 10 feet long (I was able to take a pic from part of the hole.) There are many holes like that all over the property. Anyway, it is the first time that I see something like this and I was wondering if anyone else living in bear country had similar bear signs. I am also worried since I have kids around the house, if this particular bear since it came that close to the house, (and these are indeed territorial/mark signs), would be a potential problem.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.