Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

hornady light mag ammo

Old 09-30-2007, 07:46 PM

Default hornady light mag ammo

has anyone ever used hornady light mag ammo ,did u ever chronagraph it and how did it perform on game......thanx cj
Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: hornady light mag ammo

I did some internet searches, & found several sources that said it wasn't worth it. I adopted that viewpoint, & went with the standard factory-loaded 165 Interbonds in .30-'06 for my elk hunt last month.At 70-ish yards, I got a complete pass-through on a lung shot, and a nearly intact slug in the far side of the skull on my follow-up shot. (No, that's NOT where I was aiming, but it sure did put him down quickly!).

I suppose that whenever you decide "enough's enough" for you, then you can put such choices behind you, & just work on trying to put the bullets where they're supposed to go. After seeing where my 2nd shot went, I suppose I'm heading back to the range!

FC
Old 10-04-2007, 10:19 AM

Default RE: hornady light mag ammo

I'mgood friends withan ex-gunsmiththat does custom loads a he recommended Hornady Lite Mag ammo to me. However, I purchased the cheapest ammo I could at the local Wal-Mart (Winchester Super X) when I first got my rifle. I figured after I shot a box of that off, I could get some better ammo and fine tune my sighting. I shot very well with the Super X and decided to stay with it. I've yet to shoot something that didn't die quickly, but that is more because of shot placement than the ammo. They've all been double lung shots.