Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Big Game Hunting
 Top Antelope Hunting Spots? >

Top Antelope Hunting Spots?

Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Top Antelope Hunting Spots?

Old 01-23-2007, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Default Top Antelope Hunting Spots?

I am considering an Antelope hunt for the fall of 2007 and don't know the first thing about good spots. Could anyone provide me with some information on the top U.S. spots? Any info would be appreciated.
Old 01-23-2007, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Top Antelope Hunting Spots?

Check into the NE part of New Mexico if your looking for a really nice buck. You won't go wrong.

If your looking for a real western (lost of scenery) Antelope hunt then check out eastern Wyoming lost of animals with decent size.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

I guess it would be useful for you to define what you mean by "good" or "top" spots. If you mean spots where you have the best probability of bagging large horns, you are likely to find that others have already discovered this spot before you and are already standing in line to draw a limited entry permit to hunt this area, probably having already accumulated several years worth of preference points. If you mean a place where you can draw this year and have a good chance to taking a pronghorn, eastern Wyoming, particularly Area 23, is a high draw success area with lots of pronghorns.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

What I'm looking for isa place well known for harvesting big goats. For example, West Central IL and Southeast Kansas are known for big whitetails, Utah is known for huge elk, Arkansas and theDeltais known for ducks, and Central South Dakota is known for pheasants. Is there anywhere that really stands out for Antelope?

I'm not familiar with the drawing process, but would I have a better chance of harvesting a big goat that way? Or would I be better off trying to find a landowner that will give me one of their tags? Or do landowners ever get tags? We went on a NW New Mexico elk hunt the past 3 years where were guaranteed a landowners tag.

I'd really like to swap a hunt, but will also be happy to find an outfitter. I just want to make sure I'm in an area that is gonna give me the best oppurtunity.

Thanks for your help!

ORIGINAL: Alsatian

I guess it would be useful for you to define what you mean by "good" or "top" spots. If you mean spots where you have the best probability of bagging large horns, you are likely to find that others have already discovered this spot before you and are already standing in line to draw a limited entry permit to hunt this area, probably having already accumulated several years worth of preference points. If you mean a place where you can draw this year and have a good chance to taking a pronghorn, eastern Wyoming, particularly Area 23, is a high draw success area with lots of pronghorns.
Old 01-23-2007, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

New Mexico get's my vote also...
Old 01-23-2007, 05:38 PM
Typical Buck

Johnny,

New Mexico is a excellent place to go. My dad has been there 2 times now and will be going back this year. He has a great Outfitter that doesnt cost you a arm or a leg.

Are you Archery hunting or gun?? My dads going bowhunting and theres room for a couple more guys at the ranch hes going too. If I wasnt applying for Elk I would be with him on this hunt.

We are up here in Northern Illinois if your interested shoot me a email.

[email protected]

Don
Old 01-23-2007, 06:41 PM

Arizona has the current world record, over 17"! But you'll never draw a tag. I've talked to residents there that have been putting in for nearly 30 years and never drawn.

Wyoming has the most. More goats than people. Excellent chance of drawing, lots of public hunting land(s), and a better than average chance of bagging a very respectable goat. (14+ inches).
Old 01-23-2007, 07:39 PM

New mexico has huge antelope and lately arizona has been producing some monsters. I have no idea on chances to draw for there, I can't get away to hunt there so I don't even try. I just drool at the pictures. I live in south east wyoming where antelope out number people. We do have some good antelope and now and then a few B&C ones. We took 2 last year off our ranch but nothing can be guaranteed.
Old 01-24-2007, 07:44 AM
Fork Horn

thanks for all your help fellas. Sounds like New Mexico and SE Wyoming are the places to be.

It sounds almost impossible to draw a tag in New Mexico. Is it hard to drawone in Wyoming?
Old 01-24-2007, 11:13 AM

Depends on area in wy and now they have a preference point syatem I believe. They also have where you can pay more for a license and they are more likely to draw. I havn't read the non res application much because they don't give them out to residents so they are hard to find. They wont even mail them to a wy adress.