HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Baking Soda Scent Control
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 07:21 AM
Valentine
Nontypical Buck

Default Did a test last year

The commercial company detergent I was using, made a liquid scent free and no ultra-violet brightener, switched. It went from no UV brighteners to UV brighteners.

I went to putting the minimum amount of water in the washing machine, then adding some baking soda and borax(twenty mule team), two parts to one part.

Then only as many clothes would fit in the water. If you dry them in the dryer make sure the rest of the household is using scent free commercial cleaning detergent. Or hang them outside if possible.

So now I get less expensive cleaned clothes, that are odor free and UV brightener free. (tested them under a black light in a darkened room)
Not only that, I found that most people use too much water and too much detergent. By putting the water in the washer first, then adding the baking soda and borax, I could check out the water between my fingers. Then I would experiment with less and less baking soda and borax. Surprisingly I found less stuff was needed, and that saved money.

Good luck. I went from using the new formula for just hunting clothing to all my clothing wear.

Every now and then on walks through the neighborhood, I'll whiff a strong scent of perfumed washing detergent. You know for sure deer can scent it too.