HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ASAT vs. PREDATOR???
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2007, 08:34 PM
Greg / MO
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: ASAT vs. PREDATOR???

ASAT's a good pattern, no question about it. I've said it this way before: I've heard a lot of people report that ASAT "confuses the eye"... In my opinion, nothing obliterates the human outline like Predator when you're skylighted in a tree without the trunk behind you.

And if it works that well out in the wide open with the pale blue sky behind you... Well, it gets my vote for all my hunting needs.

Check out this photo of where the guy is NOT standing exactly in front of the tree trunk (**cough, cough** Realtree AP commercials ) and you'll also see that he isn't hidden in a myriad of big limbs, bushy leaves and other assorted foliage. I've talked many times with the guy who snapped this photo, and it was not taken with a digital camera and manipulated; it was withan old 35 mm camera and what you see is what it was.

Here's another one of the Fall Gray showing that it's equally as effective on the ground in the wide open... This is one of HuntingNet's members, Rutt, who inadvertently walked by his trailcam..

Again, ASAT is a good pattern, too. I just love the way Predator breaks up the outline like nothing else can, in my opinion. If you're looking for kind of a happy medium between the two, Jeff at Gray Wolf Woolens sells a very nice Fall Gray that has a more "tannish" base than Predator's cotton fabric, and he also is about the only place still stocking and selling Predator Fall Brown -- which has legions of fans too. It may be the perfect combination between Predator's geographic blocks which breaks up the human outline so well, and ASAT's more neutral tones... You can see more at www.graywolfwoolens.com