HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Slug Gun Scope?
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2006, 01:08 PM
uncle matt
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Slug Gun Scope?

With the availability of good rifled barrels with cantilever scope mounts I am not a big fan (although a big guy) of saddle type scope mounts. It is certainly best to have the scope mounted directly to the barrel for top accuracy.

A local gun shop sells abrand newMossberg rifled & ported barrel with cantilever scope mountand Bushnell3-9X40 scope, factory "laser bore sighted" for $169.99! (give or take10 bucks -my memeory isn't what it used to be).Screw it on, get some slugs & targets.

I put one on a 12 ga. Mossberg 500 last year. My friend put one on his 12 ga. 870. The factory bore sighting was excellent - that's all I can say - excellent. Both barrels appreciated 2-3/4" Remington BuckHammers.

I was totally impressed! However I will tell you for certain, the 3-9X40 scope will not be used anymore. It will be delegated to the deep, deep bowels of my gun equipment drawers. With that scope it's just beggin ya to bring your eye "a little closer, a little closer...." It seemed quite difficult to get your eye centered with it so it's full glass was clear. Difficult enough at the bench, yet alone a serious hunt condition.

I have never seen any sense in more than a 4X for a slug gun, out to say 200 yards it is enough mag. It will more than likely be fitted with a Simmons 4X or 2X Pro-Diamond shotgun scope. Great scope under 100 bucks. Awesome light gathering, very crisp & clear. Never let us down.

I've had one on my 12 ga. H&R USH Deluxe and my son has one on his 20 ga. H&R USH. Hundreds & hundreds & hundreds of rounds, never a problem. I haveSimmons .22 Mags on (3) Ruger 10-22's (3 boys requires atleast 3 .22's , right?). Thousands & thousands & thousands of roundsthru those - never a problem.

I know some people like say to stay away from Simmons and offer up a story of a buddy/friend/uncle's scope that broke or whatever. But I stand firm by a story from me/my/I.

Funny thing about me running across those Mossberg scope packages is that I went into that shop looking to find a 12 gauge bolt slug gun. I needed an additional dedicated slug gun and thought, "what the heck, let's give a bolt a whirl, I heard good things about them". Well they didn't have any in the store and I found the Mossy barrels. "Heck I can pop one of these on my 500 and be in business!"

Great decision - never looked back.