HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Young Hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters-13/)
-   -   a post about something of interest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters/84474-post-about-something-interest.html)

Archer18 12-30-2004 12:33 AM

a post about something of interest

sorry just realized a post like this one already exists [&:], well read it or post doesnt matter to me

well, im tired of the hot or not stuff going on, anyone want to share a story of thier first hunt?

My first deer was amazing, my dad took me out on my first deerhunt when i was probably 7 or 8, but i was 12 when i shot my first deer (you have to be 12 in Idaho to harvest) we drove 3 hours to get up to our cabin, and the next morning my dad woke me up around 5, my grandma made breakfast and we had coffee, then we went out into the hills to hunt, we spotted a herd of does out there about 300 yards, and we snuck around the side of the hill and up to a rock point, by now we had snuck up to about 50 yards, there were 3 does there all nice ones, (at this point in time i didnt care about a buck, i just wanted to get my first deer, nothing wrong wiht harvesting a doe, but scince i havent shot another one, i guess i just dont like the idaho of killing a "girl" deer) anyways i pulled up my .243 and made a perfect shot on her, right behind the shoulder, she dropped and i couldnt control my emotions i was so excited, i gave my dad a hug and we went up to her, when i saw her lying there, i will admit a tear came to my eye, call me sensitive, but i couldnt help it, my dad told me you will always have gratitude and respect for the animal you kill, if you didnt you shouldnt be hunting, you have to respect all animals in the forest, for they provide us with many things, food, quality time with your dad (or whoever it is that introduced you to hunting), a passion, something to live for.

at some point in time in the far future i'd like to have a son/daughter and share the tradition of hunting as it was passed down to me if they will accept it, i just hope that it still is around by that time.

sGun 12-30-2004 05:07 AM

RE: a post about something of interest

My first deer was aslo when I was 12(as per PA state minimum age). It was an abnormally warm year for PA, infact I think I only wore a pair of jeans and a long sleeve shirt and a light jacket. Probably atleast 50 degrees or more.

We used to hunt in Martinsburg PA and my first year of hunting was absolutely amazing. It was just after day light when I spotted a deer slowing walking up a path towards me. I could see it had antlers but I couldn't tell how big it was. As it got closer I was able to make out what I thought was a 3x3(There were ARs in place, something like 2 or 3 pts on a side) so I told my dad that I believed it was legal and he told me to take the shot(he had still not seen any antlers on the deer). So I took the shot at about 50 yards and it droped right in its tracks with a shot to the spinal cord. It turned out to be a 3x1 with the broken antlers on the one side.

That year I had seen literally a hundred+ deer and my dad told me to not expect to see anything like that on a regular basis and he was quite right. After that first year I hunted in Martinsburge for another 4 years wihtout any luck at all before finding a new spot in Bedford. I'll never forget having 30+ doe all starding within 40 yards of my stand(some directly underneth me) as I talked to my dad. Such an awsome sight.

I have been trying to enstill a love for hunting in my little brother who will be 12 next season however he just doesn't seem interested. Its hard to get someone interested though with the lack of all around sucess we've been having this year. Lets face it no kid wants to sit out in the woods for hours in the cold and not even see anything!