Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 Your First Hunt? >

Your First Hunt?

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

Your First Hunt?

Old 07-19-2005, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Your First Hunt?

a september dove hunt in NC
Old 07-19-2005, 09:52 AM

Dove huntin' with my dad when I was 3, shot capguns till i was seven (got lotsa doves with them babies), thats when my dad bought me an H&R singleshot 20 guage.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:37 AM

My first hunt was turkey,about 8 years ago. My dad belongs to a club and we were hunting on their land at the time. We were trying to pull into a small parking area near the woods but we couldn't because there were about a dozen turkeys in the way!! My dad puts the truck in park as fast as he could, jumps out and tries to scatter the turkeys back into the woods! A couple seconds later he comes back out and says to put your gear on and lets go find a spot. I did as I was told toand we started walking in. Not too far into the woods I start to hear things so we stop and find a spot. We sit for maybe 10 minutes tops and I was starting to hear more and more. I told my dad as quietly as I could and he said he didn't hear a thing but I was sure I did. I had to point in the direction that I heard it....it was coming from in front and behind us. My dad tries to turn slowlyso he could see behind us. We wait a couple more minutes and then my dad sees a turkey in site!! Quietly...he tries to tell me not to move at all and I understood. BANG! He shot the turkey...I turn to look and all I see is that my dad is running up the hill after it! When he catches it he turns around and looks at me. The first words out of my mouth were 'You can sure run up a hill fast dad!!' I was very happy and excited and couldn't put it into words then! When we get back to the truck I look at it for a while because at the time I've never seen a turkey up close before. We get back to the house and take lots of pictures to remember the day. It made good food for the next meal!! Sorry but I don't specificallyremember what type of gun it was because I was only 7~
Old 07-20-2005, 11:47 AM

Well,I got my first bow for my 13th birthday. I started going out with it and trying to kill ground squirrels and quail (to no avail) within the first month. But my first real hunting trip was with my great uncle in PA. He had an archerydoe tag and we went out into the woods to fill it. We saw one at about 50 yards, then worked our way in close. It ran off like a bat out of hell, so we sort of gave chase (only in slow motion) and eventually found the deer again. This time there was more cover available and we got within about 20 yards. Then to my suprise he told me to take the shot! My gheart almost exploded in my chest as I drew that bow. Then I suprised even myself when I loosed the arrow. Thwack! Right behind the shoulder. The deer bolted into the woods. We waited about ten minutes, then tracked it about 300 yards to a small gulley that it got stuck in. It was laying there on the forest floor, with the arrow still lodged through its lungs. I felt kind of bad, it was such a beautiful creature. Though I realized that I was helping to fill a tag that the DNR deemed neccesary in that region. Now, I only hunt small game. I live in southern California, and I don't see the point in killing one of the twelve deer we have here, lol. Plus we drove out all our predators, leaving an ample supply of small game to fill the freezer with. So now I just watch the deer walk by asI shoot my rabbits. My idea ofthe natural balance.
Old 08-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

my first hunt was on private land in southern iowa.I didn't have a gun causeI wasn't gun hunting.I was sitting in a blind with my dad and i had to go to the bathroom so i got up and walked around the trees and spooked a deer my dad could have shot me but didn't .we haven't got any thing near us since. oh I was only 5
Old 08-05-2005, 12:41 PM

My first time I went hunting that I can remember was about 10 years ago when I was 3 and we went gopher hunting with my dad and I only got about 15 but it was sure fun.But my dad said he has taking me hunting when I was just a baby but I don't rmemeberthat so yeah lol
Old 08-08-2005, 07:03 PM

My first hunt was in Colorado when I was 15 I was hunting antlerless Mule deer and with a 30-30 I clipped hair and we never found the deer again.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:52 PM

my first hunt was for grouse with my brand new remington 20 gauge
Old 08-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

my first hunt was a couple days after i first learned to shoot. i learned to shoot off of my grandpa's 12 gauge, and that was the gun that i used to shoot a pigeon out of a tree off the back porch at 100 feet (33 yards).
Old 08-22-2005, 08:23 PM

My 1st real deer hunt by myself deer hunt was 2003 for Thanksgiving weekend. It was the 1st day of the hunt and I didn;t go for the morning round and didn't expect to go out for the evening round. When my dad started suiting up and said...."What are you doing!?!?! Do you want to be a hunter or what!?!?" I was so excited that I put my Mossy Oak bib on backwards! I fixed it and was ready to go. I had to have had at least 5 layers of clothing on. I was excited until we got into the truck and left for the 9 mile voytage to the stand. About 1/2 mile in, I started to $h*t bricks! I was shacking and nervous and what not. Then, I got exceptionally more nervous when my dad hands me the .270 Win and says "This is the safety. This is on and this is off.. I trust you know what to do with it. Now, walk 120 yards down this trail, climb the stand, sit down, and shut up. If something comes out...shoot the hell out of it!" I obeyed but to no evail. All I saw was a pheasant, a bunch of squirrels, and a bird that almost hit me while I was in my stand....trusty camo!

Quick Reply: Your First Hunt?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.