Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Groups > Young Hunters
 DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY >

DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY

Community
Young Hunters Specifically for the kids, this is a great place to share experiences and meet other young hunters.

DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY

Old 03-21-2004, 02:55 PM

Default DEC gives kids preseason shot at wild turkey in NY

Let's talk turkey. Thanks to New York's Department of Environmental Conservation, you'll be able to do just that and more- on Youth Turkey Day, scheduled for the weekend of April 24-25. The new regulation will permit youngsters ages 12-15 to hunt wild turkey, provided the young hunter has a valid junior hunting license, a tukey permit and is accompanied by a fully licensed adult. The weekend is for junior hunters only; the accompanying adult or guardian can assist only by calling the gobbler. Gerry Barnhart, director of the DEC's Division of Fish, Wildlife and Marine Resources, said that the youth hunt would always precede the start of the regular spring turkey season by three days and that the bag limit is restricted to one bearded bird. "That bird would then become part of the youth's regular spring-season, two-bird limit.The second bird can be taken during legal hunting hours between May 1st and May 31st," Barnhart said
Barnhart also said that DEC is proposing a similiar youth hunt for deer and bear that would allow youngsters ages 16-17 to hunt big game the weekend of November 13-14.

I dont know about you guys but me and my dad are gonna be out that weekend!!!
-Squirrel